Ana's Reviews > Tarzan of the Apes

Oct 29, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2011, peter-boxall-s-1001-books-you-must, classics
Read in October, 2011

The story itself is not bad, but the ethics behind it, the thought processes required to accept the story, are really not my cup of tea. This book is definitely a product of its time, and Tarzan reminds me quite a bit of Ayla from Clan of the Cave Bear, wherein the innate superiority of the main character allows them to retain the best aspects of their adopted tribe but to have the best characteristics of their heritage/breeding shine through as well. Of course, that's a nature vs. nurture debate, though in Tarzan the question is not only human vs. non-human but also whether being a child of nobles really matters as compared to an "inferior" race or parentage.

I would give the story itself a fairly high mark, as far-fetched and fantastical as it is, but the politics really caused me to be jerked out of the fantasy time and again. The ending did make me tear up and is making me want to read the next book. I would have loved this story if it was just the story told without the bias of the time period, but can (somewhat) forgive the bias because it was the thinking at the time. After all, what kinds of things do we do now that 100 years from now people will look at as unethical and just plain wrong?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tarzan of the Apes.