Shannon's Reviews > The Scorpio Races

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

Oct 29, 11

bookshelves: own

Without a doubt, Maggie Stiefvater’s The Scorpio Races, is the best young adult book I’ve read in a very long time. This book appeals to a large audience, too. It is not solely fantasy or romance, even though it does have those elements.

Kate “Puck” Connolly has found herself in an interesting situation. Fate has forced her into being a contender in the Scorpio Races, a very exciting, and dangerous, game. As the first woman who has ever entered the races, she faces some challenges that the other riders don’t have to experience. Sean Kendrick is the returning champion, but unlike the rest of the island of Thisby, he doesn’t discount Puck. He actually sees her as a person, and eventually a woman.

Honestly, this book seemed to have quite a few slow parts when I think back on when the action actually happened. It didn’t seem slow while I was reading it though. I felt like I was getting to know the island of Thisby and all of its inhabitants. The descriptions of the different characters and the places were amazing — I actually felt like part of the community!

The action of the racing, the fantastical element of the flesh-eating water horses, the slow burning romance, and the beautiful and detailed setting make for a winning combination. I haven’t read The Wolves of Mercy Falls yet, but I have read the author’s fey novels. While I enjoyed them immensely, I can definitely see how much she has grown as a writer, which only excites me about her future works. (And yes, Shiver, Linger, and Forever are now on my to-read list.)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scorpio Races.