Lnlisa's Reviews > The Rose Garden

The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley

Oct 29, 11

bookshelves: fantasy-adult, fiction
Read in October, 2011

After the death of her dynamic sister, Eva returns to Cornwall and a place where she and her sister happily spent their summers. While grieving she is comforted by her old friends. Strange things start to happen though, first voices from an empty room, the appearance of non-existent paths and more. When she first meets a strange man during one of these intervals, she tells him quite plainly that he doesn't exist. However after the second time she meets him, she accidentally brings an article of clothing back with her. His existence becomes harder to explain away, and so she uses the information she has to learn more. Soon she realizes that she is traveling in time, but with no control of when or where she might travel. And of course, in the present as well as the past, their are problems that can not be ignored.

I loved this! I will probably re-read it. One of the problems that I've always had with contemporary historical romances was when the author gives the characters, especially the heroine, modern opinions, values, etc. The time travel aspect neatly solves that dilemma, but of course creates a new one--could the hero from the past and the heroine from the present really accept and respect each other? The fact, in this case, that the hero is a smuggler and therefore likely to ignore some conventions made this seem more plausible to me. In any case, a fun read!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rose Garden.