Earl Grey Tea's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling

Apr 17, 14

bookshelves: fantasy, audio-books
Read in October, 2009, read count: 2

I noticed that I didn't have a review of it since I read before I really started to use Goodreads. To balance with my current reading and other studies, I decided to get the audio book read by Stephen Fry.

Just like the first book, J.K. Rowling continues to do a wonderful job of expanding her re-imagining of modern England with magic. The overall plot of the conflict between Harry Potter and 'you know who' continues to develop with a new and interesting story.

There is a bit of a overall cliche theme of good versus evil throughout the book series. I prefer more complex themes of people acting in their own self interest instead of aligning themselves across a battle line. However, in this Harry Potter book, Rowling takes a small step and breaks the mold of the good guys always being good. While here protagonists are still on the side of good, other characters within the book perceive them to be on the side of evil. While this isn't a major deviation from the whole archetype, I think it is a good introduction to young readers that the world isn't always black and white.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.