Sara's Reviews > Coming Home

Coming Home by Rosamunde Pilcher

Oct 29, 2011

Read in October, 2011

Coming Home by Rosamunde Pilcher follows Judith Dunbar for ten years before and during World War II in England. The book begins with fourteen year old Judith being left at Boarding school in Cornwall while her mother and sister join her father in Singapore. Judith soon makes friends with Loveday Carey-Lewis and is swept into her family and their eccentric privileged life. Judith grows from a timid young girl to a woman and faces love and loss, joy and tragedy.

I've been in a mood lately where I hate everything so I decided to go back and read a book that I adored when I was a teen and see what I thought of it now. This is a huge book ringing in at around a thousand pages and encompassing ten years of Judith's life. The book tends to be overly descriptive (an abridged copy would have been terrific) and reads slow at times however Judith and the Carey-Lewis clan is so compelling and their lives are so romantic and tragic that it keeps the reader interested. I found myself drawn into the time period and into Cornwall. Falling in love when she did and crying when her heart was broken.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Coming Home.

02/19 marked as: read