Jen (Red Hot Books)'s Reviews > The Guardian

The Guardian by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Oct 31, 11

bookshelves: dark-hunter, pararnormal-romance, arcs
Read from October 29 to 30, 2011, read count: 1

This book reminded me why I fell in love with Sherrilyn Kenyon. For me, the Dark-Hunter series has kind of lost its way a little bit lately. But The Guardian felt a lot like some of the earlier books that I loved so much. It's technically a Dream Hunter novel, but it brings together many different threads from previous books. We've got many of the Dream Hunter characters we've met before, like Solin, Delphine & Jericho. But our heroine is half Dream Hunter, half Kattagarian... so we've got a healthy dose of Were-Hunter. AND our hero is a slave to Noir, which ties us into the whole Azmodea/ Hellchaser storyline. Plus we get a visit to Sanctuary and a Malachai connection.

If all that sounds intimidating, well, I'll be honest when I say there were times my memory was creaking, trying to remember all the threads from the previous books. But Kenyon does a good job filling in the blanks and bringing you up to speed. And besides, the real draw of this book wasn't all background stuff anyway. Our main couple stole the show.

Seth is part Egyptian God, but was cast out by his parents. He has been rejected and betrayed his whole life, and has spent thousands of years as a slave to the primordial god Noir. He has been tortured beyond any point I could convey to you. He's never known love. In short, he is a super-awesome- dreamboat of a tortured hero.

By the bidding of his master, Seth has been torturing the Dream Hunter Solin to get him to reveal the location of the key to Mt Olympus. But then, Solin's daughter Lydia comes to rescue her dad. She becomes Seth's prisoner, while Solin goes to get the key. As his captive, Lydia spends more time with Seth and gets to see the man behind the mask he wears as Noir's Guardian. And she wants to show him all the love he has never known.

He pulled her hand up and laid it against his chest before he finally explained, "I can perform a lot better for you if you wait until the end to hurt me there."

She didn't know what made her hurt the most, the sincere honesty in his voice or the expectation of pain she saw in his eyes. He spoke as if he were nothing more than a trained monkey with no other purpose than to service her and go.

Her hand trembling, she brushed his curls back from his forehead. "Has no one ever made love to you?"

Scowling, he cocked his head. "Made love? I don't know what that is."

Of course, he didn't. Because no one had ever touched him with a loving hand. They had used him, abused him, and then thrown him away his entire life.

But that was going to change.

I really enjoyed this book alot. Kenyon is sooo good at writing tortured heroes and this reminded me a lot of Dance With the Devil in tone. My only complaint, was that ending felt a little bit rushed. Maybe more than a little bit. But I can forgive it. I really think fans of the series are going to be happy with this one. I definitely was. 4 1/2 stars.

*ARC Provided by St. Martin's Press

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Guardian.

10/29/2011 page 1
0.0% "I haven't read a Dream Hunter book in ages!"
10/30/2011 page 285
83.0% "Guys, this is so much better than Retribution."
10/30/2011 page 345
100.0% "Rushed ending, but otherwise really good."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Wendy *Sebella Blue* Mitchell I am sooo glad this is a return to Sherrilyn's original greatness. I just felt Retribution was not up to par. Now I am truly excited again.

Veronica~Nhaughty Great review...now I can't remember if I have this on pre-order or not!! Ugh! Curse my sometimers!!!

message 3: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen (Red Hot Books) I hope you both enjoy it as much as I did. I'm such a sucker for a tortured hero --and she does them so well!

Angel I couldn't agree more. I loved the first several books in the series but last couple of books were a let down, I just never cared about the characters or the plot, unless Ash showed up :). This book felt like the early books when I couldn't put it down and cared about the characters. Loved Seth and really want to hear Jaden's story.

Kimberly I'm so glad this book is a return to the "good old times." I wasn't thrilled with Retribution at all. I can't wait to read this one.

Lyra Dimagiba I totally agree with you! This let me remember the vibe I got from the first books of Dark-Hunter. :D

Angela I completely agree with everything you've said. I wish the ending hadn't been so rushed.

Gina M Jordan Great review! Like you this book restores the faith I'd lost in Kenyon's work & I'm so glad I gave this the chance to wow me.