Becky's Reviews > Daphne du Maurier's Don't Look Now

Daphne du Maurier's Don't Look Now by Nell Leyshon

Oct 29, 2011

bookshelves: horror, mystery-and-thrillers, 2011, audiobook, reviewed
Read on October 30, 2011

I was initially worried about this story, thinking that it was going to be something of a disappointment, leaving me hanging on the resolution like The Birds did... but it wasn't, and didn't.

This story was rather eerie, and the music that accompanied the reading heightened this effect quite a bit. Often, when I'm listening to audiobooks, I think of the story in terms of format and try to compare. I know that a reader can add or detract from the story, that sounds or music (which I'm not usually a fan of) can do the same, and that the experience of reading and listening can be quite different from each other. This audio was fantastic, and the music was used tastefully and to great effect. I think that one twist's significance in the story might have actually been... maybe not missed, but perhaps overlooked until viewed in hindsight, but the way the audio was done, I not only understood immediately, but was also startled and creeped out. Awesome. :D

This story had a very gothic horror feel, and was full of twists and turns and hints and the like, and it seems that nothing is quite what it seems. I tried guessing what the actual twist was going to be, and failed miserably. None of my twist-guesses made sense unless there was either one overused explanation, or unless there was a really huge explanation that could be plausible but unlikely. The one in the book was better by far. Probably why I read books and don't write them. You're welcome, world.

I thought that there was one detail which was introduced a bit late in the story that wasn't really necessary, but worked toward the ending. The ending would still have worked without this, but I guess for those people who might have been a bit baffled, it served as a kind of "There's your answer" bit. Me personally, I think that had it been left out, it would have been even creepier and with even more "What the fuck?!" thrown in. But that's just preference.

All in all, I really liked this one, probably the most of any of du Maurier's stories I've read so far. The tally is now up to a whopping 3. I'm on a roll!

Horror October 2011: #14

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daphne du Maurier's Don't Look Now.

10/30/2011