Matthew Leroy's Reviews > Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll

Oct 29, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: novels
Read from October 29 to November 19, 2011

Both books were very funny. Carroll plays with words throughout the stories and is quite humorous. Through the Looking Glass I liked less than Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I jotted my thoughts down about Alice in Wonderland below:

My thoughts about Through the Looking-Glass are more mixed. It was funny, particularly the word play concepts I mentioned before but the story was less exciting and it seemed to mostly be a reveling in nonsense without any potential moral. This may actually only mean that I have missed the moral though, which would be very sad indeed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass.

Quotes Matthew Liked

Lewis Carroll
“Everything's got a moral, if only you can find it”

Lewis Carroll
“I'm sure those are not the right words," said poor Alice, and her eyes filled with tears again as she went on, "I must be Mabel after all, and I shall have to go and live in that poky little house, and have next to no toys to play with, and oh, ever so many lessons to learn! No, I've made up my mind about it: if I'm Mabel, I'll stay down here! It'll be no use their putting their heads down and saying 'Come up again, dear!' I shall only look up and say 'Who Am I, then? Tell me that first, and then if I like being that person, I'll come up: if not, I'll stay down here till I'm somebody else' - but oh dear!" Cried Alice, with a sudden burst of tears, " I do wish they would put their heads down! I am so very tired of being all alone here!”

Lewis Carroll
“I don't see how he can ever finish, if he doesn't begin.”

Lewis Carroll
“It is a very inconvenient habit of kittens (Alice had once made the remark) that, whatever you say to them, they always purr: "If they would only purr for 'yes,' and mew for 'no,; or any rule of that sort," she had said, "so that one could keep up a conversation! But how can you talk with a person if they always say the same thing?”

10/29/2011 page 18
11/12/2011 page 147
54.0% "Finished Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I really liked it. I feel like it is very much a tale of emerging adolescence. Alice shrinks and grows throughout the book and is boggled by the seemingly confusing and nonlinear experience of Wonderland. This includes becoming confused by how authority does not make sense and at times appears to be hypocritical, as well as the confusion of human relationships."
show 9 hidden updates…