Phil's Reviews > Living in the End Times

Living in the End Times by Slavoj Žižek

Dec 15, 14

bookshelves: philosophy-and-theory, my-library
Read from June 27 to July 09, 2012

I think this book is entirely worth the read for it dares to unabashedly go places that other cultural and philosophical books dare to go - criticism and application. There is so much scope that is covered though that I feel that Zizek got lost in his thesis. His general structure remained consistent as a whole, but only on the grounds that one paid careful attention to the hermeneutical explication of the books progression. I am always astounded, though not always in accordance with, the "sideways reflections" of this philosopher. It is in this regard that he is worth every word. Unlike prior "dangerous" philosophers - Zizek doesn't confine himself to rear-view controversial evaluations of human discourse (e.g. Foucault and to some extent even Deleuze), but comes at it with a full frontal attack, using history as a source of criticism for contemporary issues rather than applying contemporary theory to historical issues in a retrospective way. Not to say that those methods aren't of great genius and value to 20th and 21st century thought, for it allows us to look around with new eyes - but only under the condition of a clear sky. Agree with him or not, Zizek is always a stimulating read that leaves much to be mulled over in its entirely unapologetic antagonism.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Living in the End Times.