Amanda's Reviews > Prodigal Son

193580
May 31, 08

bookshelves: horror, mystery, fantasy
Recommended to Amanda by: My mom
Recommended for: Koontz fans/Frankenstein fans/horror lovers
Read in May, 2008

** spoiler alert ** I'm one of the few people in the world that was never really turned on by the Frankenstein story. I found it fairly boring when I tried to read it (even though I was in junior high at the time) and I never got into the movies either. The story just didn't strike me as something I'd find exciting.

I had the same expectations for Koontz's new series based on the legendary story, but at the suggestion of my mom, I decided to give it a try.

The story takes place in Lousiana where women are being found murdered, specific body parts having been removed from the corpse. Men are also being found, only it seems that their organs have been diligently removed. While the police deduce that they have a serial killer on their hands, the plot is a bit more complicated than that.

In fact, the book lends itself to several different twists and turns that could go anywhere in the next part of his series (which I have yet to read). There's a potential romantic relationship going on with the partners on the case. There's the arrival of Deucalion, the two hundred year old "monster" and first work of Dr. Victor Helios, aka Frankenstein, who knows his maker, knows his whims, and is determined to help put a stop to his evil genius tendencies, tendencies which include the development of a new race of beings, superior in every way to humans who see Victor as their "Father." There's Randall Six, the man made autistic who seeks the answer to why another like him is happy where he is not. Amidst the characters is a struggle for those made by the doctor, those who are not human, are not made by the same God but who wish to experience the fulfillment and happiness they see in those around them.

This book was great. It kept me hooked through the whole thing and makes me excited for more in the series even though I haven't yet even picked up Book 2. Koontz creates an atmosphere of horror, mystery, romance, and a world that is slightly disturbing. There is an anticipation brought on by not knowing who's human and who's a creation of Frankenstein and how they will be revealed. Admittedly, Koontz's take on the story makes me want to go back and give the original a second glance, something I'll probably consider doing in the near future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prodigal Son.