Patricia's Reviews > Anne of Windy Poplars

Anne of Windy Poplars by L.M. Montgomery

Oct 29, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read in October, 2011

I sort of get the feeling, reading this book, that L.M. Montgomery was often trapped in rooms with eccentric women who nattered on. I get this feeling mostly because Anne keeps getting trapped in rooms with eccentric women nattering on. Character development was nil here. Anne encounters different people over three years and manages to happily change all of their lives. Except that eight year old boy the author killed off so that another character could have a happy ending. She writes letters to Gilbert narrating her life, but we never hear anything from him. This lack of development of the main character's fiance seems like a rather large oversight. As their relationship has gotten more serious, we have heard less and less from him. And characters from the previous book are completely missing. What's up with Priscilla? How is she adjusting to being a minister's wife? I realize they live in different places now, but couldn't she even write?

I still enjoyed reading this, but I think Montgomery is coasting a bit. Also, the cover of the edition I read annoyed me. Here is Anne, a B.A. and principal of the school and they've got her walking around in dresses the length she would have worn as a fourteen year old. Where is her mature woman dress? Where?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anne of Windy Poplars.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim I agree with much of what you said. No connections to the characters we know and love! Did you mean Phil (who married the minister)? Also, I thought the same thing when I saw the cover! Pigtails? Seriously?!

Patricia Yes Phil, that was her name. A friend told me later that this was compiled from snatches of short stories she wrote and published randomly through the years. They were compiled into a book later, after the series finished. So that explains the disjointed nature.

message 3: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim I read your review earlier and the part about the author being stuck with a bunch of old women... while I continued to read the book, every time one would make an appearance it was a little more bearable. The author was a minister's wife so there is probably a good deal of truth in your observation. This wasn't my favorite in the series and was tough to get through at parts, but your keen eye did help. Thank you. :-)

Patricia Glad I could get you through it. It's probably pretty tough to be a ministers wife, even today.

Morgan P. I just recently started reading the series and am now on the fourth book. This is a bit depressing for me considering I'm 20 years old but, that's okay I guess.
So far I think your review is completely correct. I've been wondering why we only see letters from Anne and mone from Gilbert. I was looking forward to those.
I'm hoping that as the book goes on it will prove not to be so much of a disappointment. Okay, maybe not disappointment but… Sort of let down from the other one. The island.

Patricia Hi Morgan. Thanks for the comment. I have to tell you, keep going. The reason is that I did and I was eventually rewarded by Anne's House of Dreams, which was quite good, and Rilla of Ingleside which was simply fantastic and worth all the earlier suffering I did in some of the books. I recommend the version edited by Benjamin Lefebvre and Andrea McKenzie, but don't read the description on Lefebvre's website as it has a massive spoiler front and center.

Good luck with the series.