Wandering Librarians's Reviews > Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side

Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey

Oct 29, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: family, fantasy, friendship, romance, series, ya
Read in October, 2011

I get the idea of why this is supposed to be awesome. It has all the elements to make it fantastic, I just felt it was clunky and nothing ever grabbed me long enough to get me to suspend my disbelief. I didn't care enough for the characters, I felt the plot didn't come together fast enough to hold my attention, and I didn't see anything original. Except for the plot device of the guide for young adult vampires, which was kind of a lame plot device.

So I'm going to be honest and say that I read the first 87 pages and the last 34. All of a sudden Jessica/Anastasia is in Romania and trying to win Lucius - who for some reason I keep writing as Luscious and having to go back and re-write it - back and end a war. Oh and she's fully accepted herself as a vampire and she's all princess-y. Sometime when I do this I become intrigued by the ending and well go back and read the entire thing, hash through the boring parts so I can understand how they got to the end. Not this one. I just didn't care. I'm sure someone out there really enjoys this series, it just won't be me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side.