Laura's Reviews > Steve Jobs

Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson

Jan 15, 12

bookshelves: bios-and-autobios, bricks, economics, nf, library, xx2012xx, 12-brilliants-in-12, favorites
Read from January 01 to 15, 2012

Two weeks of reading bliss. That's what this book was. A book written by a genius, about another genius. This is a fantastic, engrossing, illuminating, surprising read.

I went into it knowing I loved Isaacson, and expecting to love Jobs too. In his younger days, and as an adult too, there were lots of reasons not to like him. But even if you find you dislike him, you can't help but respect a man who was able to accomplish so much in his life. He changed the face of the world, he really did. He left an incredible legacy.

The reason he was so successful? He really cared. He cared about making a great product. He could sift through a mound of bullcrap and just disseminate it in a moment. He was brutally honest. We need more of both in this world, a lot more, in order to fix the various messes we've gotten ourselves into.

So he cared, and he was a man of great integrity. He loved his children and his wife, but it may be true that he loved his company more. He knew that what he did was going to impact millions of people, and it was important to him that he get it right.

By the end of the book, I grew to love Steve, not just as an executive, but as a human being. To embrace his flaws as well as his brilliance. This is the wonder of Walter Isaacson. But it, too, is the wonder of Steve Jobs.

I highly, highly recommend this book. I don't think you need to have an interest in business to be able to appreciate it. There is something for everyone here. Wisdom, and insight, and the ability, in some small way, to bask in the light of two geniuses, doing what they do best. Thank you, Walter and Steve. I truly enjoyed it. Bravo.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Steve Jobs.

01/01/2012 page 6
1.0% "Not that there was much doubt....but this is a fascinating, brilliant subject, and a talented author. I think we have liftoff!"
01/01/2012 page 12
2.0% "Oh page turner! Flashback to Ben Franklin. You GO Isaacson!"
01/01/2012 page 12
2.0% "Oh page turner! Flashback to Ben Franklin. You GO Isaacson!"
01/05/2012 page 31
5.0% "Excellent book"
01/06/2012 page 42
7.0% ""Taking LSD was one of the most important things in my life"? Really?! Oh, not liking this. Officer Dawson would not be pleased."
01/06/2012 page 56
9.0% "Primal scream therapy....hmm" 4 comments
01/07/2012 page 80
13.0% "Can't put it down. (((((Isaacson)))))"
01/07/2012 page 104
17.0% "Man what a book!!!"
01/07/2012 page 125
20.0% "It's a great thing when a nonfiction book is something you can't put down. Isaacson=Hero"
01/07/2012 page 149
24.0% "Read this book!!!"
01/08/2012 page 174
28.0% "Two genii, one book"
01/14/2012 page 383
61.0% "Terrific book, just gets better"
show 9 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Marialyce Thought this was great, Laura. Amazing man, not one I would like to work for however.

Laura Amen. Great read tho, huh? Isaacson is a genius, I want to read all of his bios now. I've only read Ben Franklin, which was tremendous. (Anything that can get me interested in non-fic and history must be tremendous lol.)

Marialyce I. Have his Einstein bio on my 2012 read list. He so reminds me of McCullough. They write non fiction like it is fiction. Amazingly talented men!

Laura I totally agree!

message 5: by Doug (new)

Doug Bradshaw Laura, thanks for the great review. I was quite taken when he died, more than I thought I would be. He was one of those guys. A friend of mine is reading the book and I get it next.

Laura You're in for a treat, Doug. I look forward to your review.

Chrissie That I finally picked this up, I thought would make you happy!

Laura Extremely! Don't expect to like him, though. But I do think you will enjoy the book. I have my fingers and toes crossed!

Chrissie My brother worked with him. He has told me quite a bit so I knowhow disagreeable a person he was.

Laura I think if you know that going in....particularly if you own and love an Apple product, I don't see how the book could miss for you. Isaacson is just wonderful.

HuhWhat Excellent review, Laura !

Laura Thanks, Simran! :)) I adored the book. It got better as it moved along.

Chrissie Does it cover his death too? Something with his kidneys, right?

Laura It does cover his death, but I don't believe there's much medical detail. I wouldn't have liked that, and I loved the book. It was cancer, I can't remember what type tho.

HuhWhat I think it might've been pancreatic but don't hold me to that.

Laura I think you are right.

Chrissie Hmmm. But he certainly wasn't very old! I am getting more and more curious about him as we talk. Peter said he was a huge pain in the butt to work with. Peter hasn't read the book; I guess it was enough to just know him....

Laura, I still laugh every time I think about how you washed your Ipod! Or was it an Iphone ?

Laura I can see where he'd be a pain to work with.