Steph Sinclair's Reviews > A Monster Calls

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

A Monster Calls has to be the most inventive book I've read this year. And I find myself struggling to put in words how much this book has touched me. But it did. If you haven't read A Monster Calls, I suggest you immediately purchase it. Don't read the e-book because you would miss out on the amazing artwork. This book is stunning. Masterfully written and beautifully drawn.

I remember the first time a book made me cry like this. I was in eighth grade in my English class, sitting under my desk in the back of the room reading A Walk to Remember. If you've read that book you will probably understand why I cried. I'm naturally an emotional person, you see. I cry easily if I see another's suffering. At the time I was fortunate enough to not have yet experience the feeling of losing someone close to you. Unfortunately, I know that feeling all too well now and that is the reason I was initially afraid to read A Monster Calls. I saw my GoodReads friends reading and reviewing the book, but I couldn't bring myself to add it to my shelf. I had an idea of where it could take me emotionally, and it's not a place I choose to visit. I keep those memories locked up and tucked away. But this book made me remember. It made me remember the phone call. It made me remember the shock, the pain, the regret, the denial, the limo ride, the funeral, the casket, the anger, the depression, the trials. It made me remember my brother, who on some days I choose to forget because it's easier that way. Maybe that sounds horrible, but it's true. It's an awful truth.

So, how do you write a review for a book that makes you remember? How can I describe in words how unbelievably vulnerable this book can make you feel? How do I explain the beauty of the frailty? I simply can't. My advice would be to go into this book blind. You have to or you risk doing a disservice to yourself, this book and the wonderful story within its pages. I suppose you are just going to have to trust me when I say A Monster Calls is beyond amazing. It's about loss, acceptance, grief, facing your fears, and letting go. This book made me laugh, made me think, tore out my heart, made me cry, and healed me. I hope, no, I know it will do the same for others...

More reviews and more at Cuddlebuggery Book Blog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Monster Calls.

Quotes Steph Liked

Patrick Ness
“You do not write your life with words...You write it with actions. What you think is not important. It is only important what you do.”

Patrick Ness
Stories are wild creatures, the monster said. When you let them loose, who knows what havoc they might wreak?

Patrick Ness
“There is not always a good guy. Nor is there always a bad one. Most people are somewhere in between.”

Patrick Ness
But what is a dream, Conor O'Malley? the monster said, bending down so it's face was close to Conor's. Who is to say that it is not everything else that is the dream?

Patrick Ness
“Stories don't always have happy endings."

This stopped him. Because they didn't, did they? That's one thing the monster had definitely taught him. Stories were wild, wild animals and went off in directions you couldn't expect.”

11/02/2011 page 35
16.0% "The illustrations in this book are beautiful!!"
11/02/2011 page 107
50.0% "I just love Conner's reactions to the monster's stories. :)"
11/02/2011 page 215
100.0% "Omg. This book! This damn book! Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos" 4 comments
02/16/2016 marked as: read

Cait I hope you like this one, Stephanie! :)

Steph Sinclair Me too! I been trying really hard to stay away from reviews. I hear it's a book you have to go in "blind" to.

Cait Yeah, it really is. I didn't read reviews beforehand and thought it was going to be something totally different than it was, and as you can tell by my five star rating (and review) I really enjoyed it :)

Steph Sinclair I know! I'll be reading your review as soon as I finish the book and write mine. :)

KJ Shadows Just finished reading it ;) very inspirational I loved it

Steph Sinclair ♡ K J ♡ wrote: "Just finished reading it ;) very inspirational I loved it"

Seems like all of my GR friends loved this one. That's a great sign! :)

message 7: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo Oh, I was a mess after this book.
It's so beautiful, isn't it? :)

Reynje This book is just astounding.. so glad you loved it Stephanie.

Steph Sinclair It was very beautiful! I absolutely loved it.

message 10: by Cait (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cait This book left me such a wreck. I even put a crying gif into your review to further punctuate that. Sigh. This had to be one of my favorite books of this year.

Steph Sinclair Yup, mine too Cait.

Wendy Darling So glad you loved it, Stephanie.

P.S. You should give Liesl & Po a try, too!

message 13: by Cait (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cait Stephanie wrote: "Yup, mine too Cait."

Steph Sinclair Cait wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Yup, mine too Cait."

Love your review Stephanie. Perfectly describes the book! I need to re-read it just to look at all of those beautiful illustrations again."

Thanks, Cait! This was a very difficult review to write. I'm priding this book ASAP and sending it off to my mom.

Wendy Darling wrote: "So glad you loved it, Stephanie.

P.S. You should give Liesl & Po a try, too!"

Thanks, Wendy! I've added it to my TBR list. :)

Steph Sinclair Thanks, Archer. It was definitely an emotional read.

Julianna Helms Thanks for introducing 2 books to me! :D I'm so scared to read them, though. Should I? It seems so... sad.

Steph Sinclair This is a must read, Julianna! It is very sad, but in they'd you will be glad you read it. :)

message 18: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah Love your review! I've started it but I'm just too afraid to finish it without giving it my 100% percent attention. Or maybe I'm just wimping out. :)

Steph Sinclair I can't wait to see what you think of it, Sarah! I ordered myself a copy earlier this week. Love, love, love this book.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I just finished this...I'm still crying. Hysterically. I can definitely relate to this book and Conor.

Kerry I don't like to read reviews, beyond the stars, before reading the book because I'm afraid to learn too much about it before. I really rely on my friends' stars! I wish that I had read the first paragraph of your review, however, warning to read the physical book instead of the ebook. It's always so convenient to get the ebooks (instant gratification!) that sometimes we miss out. Now I'm stuck with mini pictures but an otherwise great story, so far.

message 22: by Nui (new) - added it

Nui i really need to read this book! omg. your reviews effect me a lot! XD

thanks for your great reviews!

message 23: by Wolf (new)

Wolf tgvxfbhjt

message 24: by Lea (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lea Great review! Currently reading this beautiful book.

message 25: by Marypi (new) - added it

Marypi That was a beautiful review

Steph Sinclair Thank you. :)

message 27: by Kyle (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kyle Your review is absolute perfection!

Olivia Beautiful review. Such a simple book that brings you back to that nightmarish place. I read the ebook though before reading any reviews and it did thankfully have the amazing illustrations.

message 29: by Andi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andi I just finished this lovely book and your review is beautiful!

message 30: by Amy L Buehrer (new)

Amy L Buehrer Sounds like a book for me but would need a box of tissues and comfortable corner.

message 31: by Kathy (new) - added it

Kathy Miller Beautiful review...

지예 강 It is so beautiful reiew.. In fact, I agree with you. I have read many books but for me, this book was so moved and also I almost cried at the last chapter. I felt like I was healed by reading this book, also I could think back my life. Great review! I totally amazed with yours!

Dongju Kim Yes... You are totally right... I am really touched with your comment... At first I didn't feel anything interesting but at the last moment I felt really sad and I got to think a lot of me. Also I am an emotional person like you, so I got to cry when the book said Conor's mother's new treatment didn't really worked... At this moment I got to think and thank a lot of my precious family.. Moreover, the illustrations were really great too! I was a little bit scared when I read this book at night, but I admit that it was amazing :) Thanks a lot for your comment!!^^

message 34: by Kwon (new) - rated it 5 stars

YuBin Kwon Your review makes me feel like tears coming up. I cried so much while reading this book too. I was surprised by the delicate expressions of Conor's acceptance toward the death. I thought the author might have gone through that kind of situation because the truth of Conor - what he was really wishing - was something that could only come from the person who experienced it. And I feel the similar feeling from your review too. That must be the real understanding. Nice to see your good review.

Jaemin Yang Wow how can you say such words that I really wanted to say!! Actually I almost cried on the end of the story when Conor's mom passed away..... So sad..........This book really can be touching in so many ways, don't you think??!! And I so agree with you about the recoendation about this book! How can a book be such awsome and beautiful! I wish many people can read this book and be touched just like us!! I really love how you wrote a very lovely comment about this book!