Debbie Gillespie's Reviews > The Cat in the Hat

The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss

Nov 20, 11

Read in November, 2011

Citation: The Cat in the Hat, by Dr. Seuss (Random House, 1957)

1. Genre: Controlled Vocabulary
2. Summary: The Cat in the Hat, a classic Dr. Seuss Beginner Book, is a hysterical book that follows the adventures of two children home alone on a boring rainy day instigated by a mischievous cat and his silly “things”.
3. Critique:
a. Through his silly illustrations and hilarious nonsensical rhymes, Dr. Seuss captures the attention of both the young and old, as he traces the adventures of Sally and Conrad, while exposing the reader to repeated simple vocabulary words, meant to help the reader master their use by the end of the story .
b. The story that measures 1629 words in length, but uses a vocabulary of only 236 distinct words, of which only 54 occur once and only 33 appear twice. In addition, the wonderful cartoon art adds to the whimsical nature of the story, begging the reader to read the story over and over again.
c. This is apparent on nearly every page, beginning on the first as Seuss writes, “The sun did not shine. It was too wet to play. So we sat in the house, all that cold, cold, wet day. I sat there with Sally, we sat there we two. And I said, “How I wish we had something to do.” Too wet to go out and too cold to play ball. So we sat in the house. We did nothing at all.”

4. Curriculum Connection: This is a great story to use in a Pre-K classroom to reinforce common vocabulary words.

K.4 The student will hear, say, and manipulate phonemes (small units of sound) of spoken language.
a) Identify orally words that rhyme.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cat in the Hat.