Melissa's Reviews > I Am Small

I Am Small by Emma Dodd

2451978
Nov 15, 11

liked it
bookshelves: animals, families, same-and-different, nature, toddler-storytime, baby-storytime, birds, picturebooks
Read in November, 2011

I like the repetition of the text; the illustrations are clean and simple and convey the different meanings without cluttery detail. Points off though for the sappy ending. I would have loved it to end on the second-to-last line: "These things are big and long and deep, and strong and high and far and steep...and I am small. / But you are BIG and you are KIND / When I'm with you I do not mind." The picture that goes with is the penguin chick tucked in between the parent's legs: really nice match, it shows a very positive aspect of being small to balance all the other pages, where being small is a disadvantage.

Instead we continue to two more pages: "I may be small but I can see / the biggest thing to you / is me." Not only does this, uninterestingly, echo every single other I-love-you-so-much book out there, but it introduces a tricky mental concept for toddlers: how can the little chick be big when the little chick is really small? Yes, we can talk about how "big" means "important" with our little ones...but the other word meanings in the book are pretty straightforward and more or less accessible through the great illustrations. LOVE Emma Dodd's illustrations!

PS re the cover: my library's outsourced book processors taped the flap along the edge of the front and back covers, so that the book flaps could be lifted up and away from the illustrations on the endpapers.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Small.