Krystal's Reviews > The Boy Recession

The Boy Recession by Flynn Meaney

Aug 06, 2012

bookshelves: arc

Meaney wrote a book that had me laughing from cover to cover. The plot focuses on the effects of a “boy recession” at a high school. When 12% of the boys leave the school, the remaining guys find that they are now in high demand. Boys who never played a sport before are on the football team and guys who could never hope for a date find that they are surrounded by desperate girls. This book is told from two perspectives, the first is Hunter. At first, he is unaffected by the exodus of the guys from his school. Hunter is a brilliant slacker who doesn’t put much effort into anything he does. This changes after being yelled at by a high school advisor and meeting Kelly, the second narrator of this book. Kelly is sweet, nice, and musically gifted. She finds herself drawn to Hunter, she likes his easy-going personality. As the two grow closer, the problems that come with a boy recession begin to interfere with their friendship.
The Boy Recession is perfect for young adult and teenage readers. Meaney’s writing is humorous and creative. All the characters stand out and are memorable. I can’t wait to read Meaney’s next book and I give this novel five out of five stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boy Recession.