Kimberly's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Nov 01, 11

bookshelves: 2011, favorites
Read from October 29 to November 01, 2011

In the future, everyone belongs to one of five factions, which are divided by their "core values." A person chooses his/her faction at 16 years old, and then must remain with that group. Beatrice chooses her faction, and the story follows her initiation into the group.

I really liked this book. There were some flaws, but I was intrigued enough to overlook them, which is an excellent trait for a book to have. I found the simulation scenes to be particularly imaginative and enjoyed them.

There are a few things that bugged me:

* How is it that everyone can condense all their thoughts and feelings into one core value? Why was it thought that this would be a great idea? That was weird.
* Why the world is like this was never explained.
* The way that the government and other jobs are divided up by the factions seemed really weird. There is also this big fence around the city, but it's never explained why.
* There is talk of water lakes and marshes being dried up, yet a fast-moving river is central to the story. Seemed odd.
* It is stated several times that the main character isn't pretty, but everyone flocks to her like she's the big hottie.

So yeah, nothing huge, but maybe it'll be answered in the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.