Lori Anaple's Reviews > Hate List

Hate List by Jennifer Brown

Oct 29, 2011

bookshelves: ya-is-not-just-for-children-anymore

It is hard to say that I liked this book given the subject matter. But I did find it interesting. Brown tackles a tough subject with an interesting turn: the school shooters girlfriend.

I like books that make you think, and this book does. Young adults face so many challenges today and more often than not they face more than one at once. It seems to me that making a "hate list" isn't really all that crazy. Therapists are always telling people to "write their feelings". A hate list isn't the same as a "hit list". People say all of the time that "they are going to kill" someone. No one means it. But you throw in a warped boyfriend who shoots up the school and these things become monumental.

Val is not someone who I really liked. But I found her journey to be interesting and real. The guilt that she feels is real, and so is the self pity. Not that self pity in this instance is bad. I think if my boyfriend shot up a school and I didn't know that was in his head, I would wallow a bit myself.

The real take away for me with this book is Val's journey to see. Her therapist is perhaps the only character I really liked. He allows her to see what is real and what filtered perception she has layered over her relationships.

People are mean and people hate. There is nothing that is ever going to change that. But this book allows that sometimes, people themselves can change.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hate List.