Joan's Reviews > Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book That Changes Lives

Oct 29, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: adult-books
Read from October 24 to 29, 2011

I read this at the urging of my son. It just mostly made me feel old. As a few other reviewers have pointed out, there is not anything truly new in this book. Most of it is Asian mysticism made more palatable through American experiences by using an American college student as the focus. A subplot with a romance feels quite forced, as if the author figured he better put in some romance so people can relate to the book better and find it interesting enough to begin reading it. Many people have said every single bit of wisdom listed in this book. I suspect mostly young people read this and find it amazing. Older people have read other books and discovered that there are flaws in the philosophy. One thing that all these beliefs leave out are people who physically can't be happy, which sounds melodramatic but is true. People who are chronically depressed, who cope with schizophrenia, and other mental illness, don't need to be told just be happy with the implication that you are failing spirituality if you can't just decide to be happy. It is something that isn't going to happen, unfortunately. There is more to attaining happiness than deciding to have a good attitude and be happy. Remember, this book was written at a time when the motto "don't worry, be happy" was popular. I want to be kind to someone who clearly is very ernest about his book, but really, if I could do it, I'd give this 2.5 stars so I rounded up.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Way of the Peaceful Warrior.