Sammie's Reviews > Brethren: An Epic Adventure of the Knights Templar

F 50x66
Nov 23, 2011

did not like it
Read from November 08 to 23, 2011

I wish I could give this book 1.5 stars. Some aspects of it I liked, but there were enough that I didn't like that I can't quite bring myself to select 'it was ok'.

My main criticism of this book is that it has all the subtlety of a punch in the face. Major plot points were crammed into single pages to move the story along. It reads as a lurching, stuttering story that goes nowhere for a long time and then suddenly leaps foward. Twists didn't feel natural and major events fell flat for me.

However I love the East/West idea. Telling this story from both sides is interesting, and it seemed to be done with balance.

On the whole the motivations of the characters made sense, though they suffered from the same lack of subtlety. I prefer to make my own mind up about some of a character's feelings based on what they do and say, rather than have it all laid out in their own self-analysing thoughts. This author needs to learn the lesson of 'show, don't tell' when it comes to character development.

Part of me wants to know what happens next in this series. However I don't think I can bring myself to read on. I've been writing this rather critical review in my head since about a quarter of the way into the book. There were too many things bothering me about it to allow me to fully absorb myself in the story - which is a shame, because the crusades hold such potential for good story telling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brethren.