Sam Quixote's Reviews > Scalped, Vol. 5: High Lonesome

Scalped, Vol. 5 by Jason Aaron

Oct 29, 11

Read in October, 2011

In this fifth book in the series, we are introduced to a con-man who hustles blackjack, we learn more about FBI Agent Nitz, there's background on Diesel's troubled childhood, and Bad Horse's heroin addiction gets worse as he's roped into a heist to save Red Crow discovering that he's an undercover FBI Agent. And the killer of Gina Bad Horse is revealed.

There's a lot going on in "High Lonesome" and it's definitely the best in the series so far with revelations and action coming thick and fast. The con-man story is told really well and the character was really great and creepy. Diesel is as maniacal as you would expect and Nitz is a troubled guy with a difficult past - it was good to see more on him as so far he's seemed a very one-note kind of character.

Also I didn't guess who killed Gina at all but I wasn't surprised as the killer turns out to be someone who's been in all of the books but is kind of a nutter, so it seems fitting almost. For a series that focuses on two characters, Dash Bad Horse and Lincoln Red Crow, neither character were very present in this book but the background players did more than enough to make up for this absence. It shows the strength of a writer like Jason Aaron who can build stories from the least characters and still make a brilliant comic book out of it.

A great continuation of this increasingly more interesting series, "High Lonesome" is crime comics at it's best.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scalped, Vol. 5.