Deana's Reviews > Seed

Seed by Rob Ziegler

Aug 12, 12

bookshelves: read-kindle, 2012, 4-5stars
Read from July 06 to 17, 2012

This book was really awesome! I think there were a few things that could have been done better, hence the 4 instead of 5 star rating, but I really enjoyed the plot and the way the story line all fell together.

The book takes place in a future where large cities have been reduced to rubble, gangs rule the open roads, and food and water are hard to come by due to the climate changes that are slowly roasting the citizens. In the midst of all this is Satori, a company whose goal is to genetically engineer food that will grow in such climates (each seed has a bar code!) and also to engineer creatures to grow the food, keep the company running, defend the company, etc. The company is masterminded by four ancient men who have been kept alive for ... centuries? ... inside a special pod, and a "computer" (also named Satori) that is very much in touch with DNA and the entire company (the physical building, I mean) is a part of her. Or she is a part of it. Hard to say.

When it becomes clear that Satori has ulterior motives after one of their "designers" leaves, the government (which has mostly been reduced to a seed distribution mechanism) sends in a team to figure out what is going on. The story follows three stories -- one of the military members, the "designer" and her mate (also a designer), and two boys (Brood and Pollo) who have been living on the road and whose lives become entwined with Satori in more ways than one.

I loved the idea of the barcoded seed and the genetic engineering of food and creatures. I loved the way the stories interacted. And I loved the cultural aspects to the book, and the random Spanish thrown in here and there. The ending was a little weird, but nothing I couldn't deal with.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seed.

07/06/2012
16.0% "Really interesting do far!"
07/11/2012
39.0% "I can't wait until this weekend when u will have nothing to do but finish this awesome book"
07/12/2012
52.0% "Ahhh I want to keep reading but so tried and work tomorrow :("
show 6 hidden updates…

message 1: by Suzanne (new) - added it

Suzanne I'd been looking forward to your review! Can't wait to check this out. It sounds fascinating. :)

Deana Thanks! Yeah, I really enjoyed it, especially knowing it's his debut novel. A different take on the future and genetic engineering than I've seen before. It wasn't perfect, but it kept me in suspense and wanting to read more :D