Elizabeth's Reviews > In the Garden of Iden

Jun 06, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: book-club-selection, recently-read, scifi-fantasy
Read in June, 2008

I thought the book had a great premise- operatives for the Dr. Zeus company visit Tudor England in order to preserve plants, animals, and artifacts for the future (and for profit)- but fell a little flat in the execution. There wasn't much plot, other than a bit of forbidden romance, and the little plot there was meandered aimlessly before coming to an abrupt conclusion. The story was set in such an exciting, tumultuous time period, yet we only heard of those exciting details through the reports of other operatives, while our main character was stuck in the country, clipping plants and romancing a staunch Protestant. Not exactly as much fun as it could be, other than a few moments (such as the Christmas spectacle). I did enjoy little details like the "radio" reports and the use of language; Kage Baker mixes Elizabethan English with "Cinema Standard" quite seamlessly. Nevertheless, I felt like I was hoping for more, and was left unsatisfied.I know this is part of a series, but I doubt I will read on; I enjoyed the book well enough, I suppose, but there are so many other, more exciting books clamoring for my attention.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Garden of Iden.