EeeJay's Reviews > Wonder

Nov 05, 11

bookshelves: netgalley, young-adult
Recommended for: Everyone
Read on October 29, 2011

What can I say? Where do I begin? How do I express what reading this book made me feel? It's not a book, it's a journey. It's a tragedy and a comedy and true and false at the same time. I feel privileged to have been allowed to read this (typos and all). And Auggie's right, I don't want to imagine him. I don't want to avert my eyes from his face. I don't want to hurt his feelings and feel like I behaved like all the other people did. But you know that it would happen if you saw him. That's the strength of this book. It makes you realize how superficial we truly are even when we profess not to be. It makes you empathize with the characters. It makes you live them. And it's not a comfortable feeling.

Recommended for everyone. I just had one minor issue and that was the last award should have gone to Jack (or Summer), who had the guts to get the ball rolling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wonder.

Quotes EeeJay Liked

R.J. Palacio
“I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives.”

R.J. Palacio
“The things we do outlast our mortality. The things we do are like monuments that people build to honor heroes after they've died. They're like the pyramids that the Egyptians built to honor the pharaohs. Only instead of being made of stone, they're made out of the memories people have of you.”

R.J. Palacio
“Courage. Kindness. Friendship. Character. These are the qualities that define us as human beings, and propel us, on occasion, to greatness.”

R.J. Palacio
“It's like people you see sometimes, and you can't imagine what it would be like to be that person, whether it's somebody in a wheelchair or somebody who can't talk. Only, I know that I'm that person to other people, maybe to every single person in that whole auditorium.
To me, though, I'm just me. An ordinary kid.”

R.J. Palacio
“If every person in this room made it a rule that wherever you are, whenever you can, you will try to act a little kinder than is necessary - the world really would be a better place. And if you do this, if you act just a little kinder than is necessary, someone else, somewhere, someday, may recognize in you, in every single one of you, the face of God.”

“MR. BROWNE'S SEPTEMBER PRECEPT:

WHEN GIVEN THE CHOICE BETWEEN BEING
RIGHT OR BEING KIND, CHOOSE KIND.”

10/29/2011 page 65
20.0% "Getting better & better"
10/29/2011 page 159
50.0% "Amazing!"
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 4: by Christine (last edited Mar 26, 2012 07:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Christine Bongers I agree with so much of what you've said. I too struggled with that last award. I wanted it to go to Jack too, then felt immediately conflicted and a little ashamed because my first instinct had been to recognise Jack's courage, not Auggie's. My failing, and perhaps a universal failing; Auggie's experience will never be ours, but Jack's could be. And if tested, wouldn't we all want to rise to the occasion as he did?

message 3: by EeeJay (last edited Mar 27, 2012 12:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

EeeJay I'd sure like to believe so but I have been a victim of bullying so I know not everyone does.

Julia Hi! can you please help answering some of these questions? You seem to know a lot about this book.
1. What does the astrounat helmet signify to Auggie's dad?
2. What events do you think had the biggest effects on Auggie?
3. Why does the cover use the tagline "dont judge a boy by his face"?
4.Why does Via (Olivia) say that she is a celestial body that orbits Auggie the sun?
Below are some of the precepts that Auggie and his classmates sent back at the end of the year. For each, Explain who the character is, why he or she chose that precept, and how it relates to his or her life.
1. " Everyone deserves a standing ovation because we all overcometh the world" ~Auggie Pullman
2. " Its not enough to be friendly you have to be a friend". ~Charlotte Cody
3. " Sometimes its good to start over" ~ Julian Alban
4. "Your deeds are your monuments" ~ Mr. Browne
Thank you very very much for trying to answer these questions anyone thank you very much i really appreciate it!

Sarah Horner EeeJay, I am reading it with my students and we've decided we all want to "meet" Auggie... I can't say I remember the last book that I really felt I wanted to meet and spend time with the main character.