Jill's Reviews > Edge of Survival

Apr 17, 14

bookshelves: romantic-suspense

Who Dares Wins
British Special Air Service

When Dr Cameran Young discovers the murdered body of a young woman in the public toilets of a bar in a remote mining community in Labrador, Canada, her uneventful life is in for a major upheaval. With her friend and assistant Vikki Salinger, they've come to the wilds of Canada as part of the Environmental Impact Assessment team studying the effects of the mining industry and of building a hydroelectric dam in the region, on the char fish in local waters.

Daniel Fox is the helicopter pilot transporting Cam and Vikki to the research vessel, their accommodation for the next twelve-week period of the study. Daniel knows that any man in the bar may be the killer, so gets Cam and Vikki away as soon as possible. With a killer on the loose and a rough group of miners who feel their livelihoods threatened, Daniel is doing the one thing he never wanted to do again. Get involved.

Cam and Daniel are written very believably and persuasively. Having left the Special Forces in disgrace, Daniel is suffering from PTSD with the loss of his career and his honor. He copes through his love of flying and overindulging in alcohol and mindless sex. Cam has her own unique set of problems. Her health is at times precarious and the complications she has to cope with and the descriptions of her medications were enlightening. It was clever how Ms Anderson wrote her condition into the plot and how the killer uses it against Cam.

At the beginning of each chapter the author has included the motto from a ship or a unit of the Armed Forces. A couple of my favourites -

Semper Fidelis Always Faithful
U.S. Marine Corps

The Impossible We Do Every Day, Miracles Take a Bit Longer
440th CSG/PERSCO Dhahran AB, Saudi Arabia

This is an excellent romantic suspense. I wish half-stars were do-able at Goodreads as Edge of Survival is more than a 4-star rating.

ARC courtesy of Carina Press via NetGalley

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Edge of Survival.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Wendy I'm dying to read your review. I just read Baba's and she just gave it a big 5 stars!

Jill Not quite 5 stars for me. But definitely 4.5 stars. Really good story. Hopefully I'll be able to post the review tonight. Working all day. Grrr!

Wendy Yeah me too, join the club. *sigh*

Have a good day at work :)

Jill Thanks Baba.

Nikki As always, a lovely review Jill. I'm looking forward to buying this one at the end of the month!

Wendy Great review Jill! It's a definite on the list.

Jill @ Nikki
Thanks Nikki. Really worth reading and hope you enjoy it.

@ Wendy
Thanks Wendy. Baba and I were both excited about this one.

message 9: by KatLynne (new) - added it

KatLynne Great review Jill. I will have to add this one to my mtn:-)

message 10: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Thanks KatLynne. I was pretty impressed with this one. It's funny when anyone here at GR says "The Mountain" or "My Mountain" everyone knows what they mean!

message 11: by KatLynne (new) - added it

KatLynne LOL..so true Jill!

message 12: by Buggy (last edited Nov 06, 2011 06:55PM) (new) - added it

Buggy Thanks Jill, this sounds fantastic.

Dispite the fact that I live in "the wilds of Canada" that aspect won't be unique for me but I am hopeless when it comes to the tortured heros so Yum to that.

message 13: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Thanks again Buggy. Yeah, the Canadian wilds sound pretty exotic from where I'm sitting! I guess you would consider it your backyard. Hope you enjoy this as much as I did!

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... This tightly-written romantic suspense is very, very good. The hero and heroine are supported in the unfolding drama and investigation by a cast of exceptionally well-written secondary characters. The killer's motives were a happy deviation from the expected. The setting in the Canadian wilderness different.

I could't agree more! I found myself caring deeply for Griff, either wanting things to work out for his marriage or for him to finally be cut loose so he could live his life doing a job he loved.

Wonderful review, Jill!

message 15: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "This tightly-written romantic suspense is very, very good. The hero and heroine are supported in the unfolding drama and investigation by a cast of exceptionally well-written secondary characters. ..."

Thanks Dhes!

message 16: by Karla (new) - added it

Karla Great review Jill! I just read a book by this author and now I want more!

message 17: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Karla wrote: "Great review Jill! I just read a book by this author and now I want more!"

Thanks Karla! TA's a great writer. :)