Sue's Reviews > Want to Know a Secret?

Want to Know a Secret? by Sue Moorcroft

Oct 29, 11

bookshelves: kindle, fiction, read-2011
Read in October, 2011

This novel - which I read on my Kindle after an inexpensive download - begins with what could have been rather a cliched scene: two large policeman dominate Diane's kitchen, bringing some bad news. Her husband Gareth has been in an accident, although they think he will pull through. But it rapidly becomes almost surreal. The circumstances surrounding the accident sound so unlikely that Diane wonders if it's in fact a different guy. And then, when persuaded that it is indeed her husband, she meets some people who seem to know her, but whom she has never even heard of.

It feels almost like a terrible dream, at first; I felt drawn into the story quickly, and found myself empathising quite strongly with Diane in her confusion. She is clearly not deluded, or mentally unstable. She's a hard-working woman with a small clothes-making business who sometimes struggles to make ends meet. She is perhaps too trusting, almost naive at times, but she cares deeply for her family and is currently missing her daughter, who is working abroad for a charity.

The story gradually unfolds, and slowly things start to make sense. Issues of greed, depression, snobbery and selfishness arise, and I began to see how such a scenario could possibly happen. Diane is far from perfect, the daughter of over-protective, angry parents who pushed her into a marriage which made life often difficult for her. Yet she is immensely likeable, as are several of the other people whom she gets to know. Sue Moorcroft has a great gift for characterisation, and tells a good story; it's a pity - in my opinion - that her work is not more widely read.

My only criticism of this book is that there are a couple of over-detailed intimate scenes. They don't quite descend into sordidity, but I felt they were quite unnecessary - and did not match well with the characters of the people involved.

Still, overall I enjoyed the book very much and would recommend it highly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Want to Know a Secret?.