Kellee's Reviews > The Blood Lie

The Blood Lie by Shirley Reva Vernick

1919931
Oct 28, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction, religion-faith, ya-teen, amazon-review-done
Read in October, 2011

Jack Pool loves Emaline. He knows that because of their faith, he is Jewish, she is Christian, that it will never happen, but he truly loves her. If he isn't thinking about Emaline, he is thinking about his cello audition in 4 days for a music school in Syracuse- he'd be able to escape his town without even an orchestra or band. Music is his key to escaping and becoming something. Then on his 16th birthday, he walks home Daisy, Emaline's 4 year old sister and goes to work. Daisy disappears later in the day and the true colors of his neighbors shows even more why Jack needs to get away. Because of his faith and the belief that for certain holidays Jews murder human children to sacrifice, Jack is suddenly a murder suspect.

Whenever you hear about prejudices against the Jewish faith and people who practice the faith, you automatically think of things that happened in other countries such as the Holocaust or unrest in Israel, not here in America; however, the prejudice was (is) alive and well here as well. The Blood Lie is a story that shows the reality of what it was like to be Jewish during the 1920s.

What surprised me even more was in the Author's Notes, Vernick mentions that this horrible stereotype of human sacrifice still exists today. I am always shocked (maybe naively) when I learn about the horrible racism that exists in our present time of diversity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blood Lie.