Laura Westmeyer's Reviews > All Creatures Great and Small

2002847
Dec 30, 13

bookshelves: currently-reading
Read in December, 2012

James Herriot is brilliant.
He's an incredible writer who's led an interesting life and shares it with us here.
He makes the characters come to life completely - their physical presence, personality, sense of humor, seriousness and life perspective are clearly expressed in their interactions throughout the book. His experiences as a rural veterinarian in the 30s is graphic, at times heroic, and always exciting.

It's set as short stories of distinct events, which is perfect for a quick reading session. If it were all one story, I never would have put it down. I had to force myself, as it was.

That being said, it's best to read it cover-to-cover or you'll miss the subtleties, which will make you smile and laugh to have recognized the inside jokes and personality traits gleaned from previous chapters.
And laugh you will!! I found myself chuckling aloud uncountable times.

I delayed the final few stories because I knew I would miss the book when I read the last page.

Fortunately, I found out that feeling can be delayed... because this is part of a trilogy!! I'm excited to start reading All Things Bright and Beautiful and continue to the last.

Excellent, excellent book in all respects.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All Creatures Great and Small.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Isabelle (new)

Isabelle That was one of the first books I read in English and I also LOVED it! I recently got the CDs at the library and listened to it all over again while painting. And it is very rare for me to read the same book twice! :)

Laura Westmeyer Isabelle, this book has a story for me, as well. A co-worker of mine said he had an idea: He would choose a book for me to read that I would never pick up (but that he thought I would enjoy), and I should do the same for him. He mentioned this book and several others. I didn't think much of the conversation, but the following week he showed up with this book in hand. I have many books on my "to-read" list that I just haven't had time for, and I wasn't thrilled about picking up one that I wasn't excited about. But I felt an obligation to read it and return in in a (timely) manner. So I picked it up grudgingly, and found that after a few pages, I couldn't put it down!! The idea was GREAT because he was right; I never in a million years would have picked up this read but it has become one of my favorite books of all time. I can't wait to read more of the trilogy. Take care, Laura

Bill Wiens This is a great book. I remember reading it years ago. I love James Herriot.