Joel's Reviews > The Appeal

The Appeal by John Grisham

Oct 28, 2011

Recommended to Joel by: Facebook friends recommended another Grisham novel, but I chose this one
Recommended for: Lawyers, legal experts, and law students

As Grisham claim in the epilogue following this work, many of its elements are made up although the setting is fairly realistic. It takes place in a fictional town in Grisham's native Mississippi. The case involves an unrealistic chemical being unleashed into the drinking water supply of this community in the southern part of that state. The illegal dumping is responsible for some of the cancers and other diseases reported in the area, some of which happen to threaten the health of young children and the quality of life for many others.

In such a case one would expect swift justice. However, this one involves plenty of research and lab work throughout the region. The "appeal" in the title relates to the company responsible for the illegal dumping trying to clear its reputation. I couldn't give this book an excellent rating as I was uncertain of the outcome. Was justice served in this case? Did the claimants reap any rewards from it? I'm not sure. The text appears to lack closure. That being said, I'm not a legal expert, just someone who picked up this book for pleasure.

Still, I feel the events in the book were compelling early on and it was clear why the plastics company was due for a trial. I would certainly recommend this among other Grisham novels for those who work in legal backgrounds and as a means for understudying the profession.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Appeal.