Rob's Reviews > The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination

The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination by Loraine Boettner

May 24, 08

bookshelves: doctrine-and-theology
Read in October, 2002

This is the FIRST book I read concerning Reformed Doctrine and was the writing that the Holy Spirit used to open my eyes to the Truth of Scripture. It provided the Foundation that had been omitted from teachings of Scripture for the first 26 years of my life. Those teaching were not fully incorrect but were misguided by false doctrine (though I would later be told that a doctrine was not being taught).
Teaching includes doctrine whether it is stated or implied. I much prefer a stated doctrine in the form of the Westminster Confession (or similar Church creed) so that the teaching may be examined in light of that confession and that confession examined in light of Holy Scripture.
The language is 1932 era and can be difficult to understand at times. I only read 1/2 of the book before I was overwhelmed with the Truth revealed by the Holy Spirit and had to take a month to examine my own faith before beginning the book again and reading through to the end. I have read it two times and find new truth in each reading.
This is not a full statement of the Reformed Doctrine but brings to light the major points of Reformed Doctrine that give glory to God and remove selfish and prideful humanism from the modern Christian.
VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED along with the R.C. Sproul book "What is Reformed Theology?: Understanding the Basics"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andre (new)

Andre This also is one of my first reads on the Reformed Faith. It was a pretty tough read and I remember thinking, wow this woman is extremely sharp as I read the whole book online :+) Years later I found out that the she was really a he and have read other writings Boettner and benefitted greatly...