Danica Page (One Page at a Time)'s Reviews > One Moment

One Moment by Kristina McBride

May 31, 2012

bookshelves: out-in-2012, young-adult, mystery, suspense
Read on May 25, 2012

This is a condensed version of my review. The extended version can be found here.

Disclaimers: I received an e-galley for this book from the publisher via netgalley in exchange for my honest opinion. Thanks for this opportunity!

My overall Thoughts/Impressions: This is Kristina McBride's second novel. I hadn't heard of her before, but was eager to read this one. I loved the cover of this book and I also loved the synopsis and so I decided that I had to read this one.

I read Breaking Beautiful a few months ago which also featured some type of accident where the boyfriend ended up dead and the girlfriend's memory was left in shreds. I think subconsciously going into this one I was comparing the two of them.

However, after a few pages, I realized that these books, although similar on the surface, were completely different from each other. I stopped comparing them and quickly found myself swept away in the story. I've already shared that I have an unhealthy interest in novels about memory loss...this one fit the bill nicely.

The pacing of this story seemed to fly by at a rapid pace (or maybe that was just my frantic reading) which I actually enjoyed. I never felt like the novel had a slow or dull moment. The whole time I was reading this one I was intrigued and riveted by the story.

The characters were all compelling and I found myself anxiously waiting to see how the novel unfolded. There were times I wanted to hit Maggie over the head and tell her to see what was really going on, but I still liked her. You don't really get to know much about her other than her relationship with her friends and of course her boyfriend Joey.

However, I didn't mind getting a snapshot on her life. The novel focused on the accident and the aftermath of the accident. It created a complex picture of a few moments--or one moment as the tile suggests--and I love novels that do that.

This novel pulled on my emotions and made me feel invested in the story. It was a really quick read that was entertaining. This is one that I'd reread. I'll definitely be looking into McBride's debut novel The Tension of Opposites.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Moment.