Danica Page (One Page at a Time)'s Reviews > Spirit's Princess

Spirit's Princess by Esther M. Friesner

This is a condensed version of this review, to see my extended review please follow this link.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: First off, I'd like to thank the publisher for giving me a copy of this through netgalley.

When I heard that Esther Friesner had written another novel, I was really excited. I loved her series about Helen of Troy and Nefertiti, and so I had really high hopes for this one.

I liked this novel and I loved the main character Himiko. She's a tough heroine just like all of Friesner's characters have been. This novel allowed me to really get inside her head and her world. As always her writing was great. There may have been a few historical inaccuracies; however, like I said I really enjoyed reading this one.

In my mind, this one wasn't as good as her other two series. I don't really know why that is. Maybe it's just because I knew more about the heroines in those characters. Despite the fact that I really enjoyed this one, I just had a harder time getting into this one than the others.

The writing was great, the characters were really enjoyable, and the pacing and plot was great. There was just something missing to really suck me into the story.

However, having said that let me emphasize that this was really intriguing and I'll definitely be reading the sequel. Fans of historical fiction will love this one.

In Summary: A very well-written ya historical fiction novel with a strong heroine that readers will adore.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spirit's Princess.

03/16/2012 page 80