Rock Angel's Reviews > Instant City: Life and Death in Karachi

Instant City by Steve Inskeep

I had expected an anthropological survey of pop migration, I was wrong. This is more a like a really really steady gaze into Karachi's development as an example of instant cities.

We barely got into the birth of K as Pakistan's capital by ~p.60, pretty slow going for an outsider like me.

The author does not: 1. fully make a case for y Karachi is better suited for the study of instant cities than others; or 2. truly match the POV of a native. Yet it is probably still worth a read.

i've only gone 5 chapters, stay tuned.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
60% done: Parts 1 & 2 are a yawn. Chapters 9 & 10 (Part 3 : New Karachi) is really more in line with what I'm looking for.

80% done (3 chapters left): TMI!! Even with dead-ends! The author may have specific themes for specific chapters, but instead of just laying down his conclusion with supporting evidence, he reported his daily foot marches: where he went, what he did, whom he met & how they received him -- even on dead-ends! For example he could easily have just given the final paragraph (p.198) instead of dallying the entire chapter 12.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Instant City.

Quotes Rock Liked

“Heritage is a matter of the stories we choose to tell about our past, as well as the stories we overlook.”
Steve Inskeep, Instant City: Life and Death in Karachi