cecilia's Reviews > Lie

Lie by Caroline Bock

Oct 28, 11

liked it
Read in October, 2011

To lie or to come clean… Skylar Thompson has to decide whether to free her boyfriend Jimmy by keeping silent or speak the truth and face its consequences. To love or to let go… Jimmy helped Skylar come to terms with her mother’s death and makes her feel loved, but how can this Jimmy be the same one who brutally assaulted a couple of immigrants? To make things right or to leave it wrong… When Skylar finally makes a decision, will anyone be there to support her?

LIE is laid out a little differently from other books in that it weaves the story from multiple perspectives. Everyone has different reactions and mixed thoughts about what happened, and I think it was interesting to note that Jimmy was the only one who stayed silent except through other viewpoints. I can see why LIE had been told via different characters, but I feel that there were too many cooks in the kitchen – and no one seems to stand out enough from each other. For me, it is obvious that hate crime is unacceptable – but I am not sure if LIE truly a undeniably strong message of how wrong it is. It shows a few teens and adults who want to make things right, but it also shows other teens and adults who see no big problems with what happened. After I finished reading this book, I was still left wondering if LIE will make any difference – if it will change the minds of those who see no problems with bullying and targeting those who are different.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lie.