Velvetink's Reviews > The Sheltering Sky

The Sheltering Sky by Paul Bowles

Oct 28, 2011

bookshelves: africa-continent, z-1970-s
Read in January, 1971

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sheltering Sky.

Quotes Velvetink Liked

Paul Bowles
“Death is always on the way, but the fact that you don't know when it will arrive seems to take away from the finiteness of life. It's that terrible precision that we hate so much. But because we don't know, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless.”
Paul Bowles, The Sheltering Sky

message 1: by Donna (new)

Donna I heard some young Hollywood himbo use the line about not knowing how many times we may see another person again when we see them, without any attribution. It was around the time the movie came out. I remember thinking if he wanted to give the impression of smartness, attributing the quote would mean he read Paul Bowles. The actor is dead now anyway.

Velvetink It's an apt quote.

message 3: by Donna (new)

Donna that's the one. Now I remember being so moved by it because it was about remembering, picking up the objects in the storehouse of our minds. I hear a rake outside. I'm going to close my eyes now and smell some burning leaves the way I did when I was much shorter.

Velvetink Donna wrote: "that's the one. Now I remember being so moved by it because it was about remembering, picking up the objects in the storehouse of our minds. I hear a rake outside. I'm going to close my eyes now an..."

Yes it's curious how as we get on through life we forget the knack of how to remember like that. It's a bit of synchronicity to have stumbled upon this book/quote right at this moment - I was contacted by old school mates about a school reunion coming up (I didn't go to previous ones (only the first one)....it's been a long time now. I wasn't going to go this time (the horror of it - remembering all our differences) but I have lost a few people this year - one totally unexpected & sudden. And it struck me reading Bowles quote how short our time is. I noticed on my school's FB page several students have died - &
it seems petty now not to go. I doubt there will be another opportunity to see the people left who did make school bearable. Strange how one's thoughts twist about inside out.

message 5: by Donna (new)

Donna Go. You'll gain incredible perspective.

message 6: by Ian (new) - added it

Ian "Marvin" Graye On the finiteness of life, it's worth seeing the film "In Time":

message 7: by Ian (new) - added it

Ian "Marvin" Graye I am coming across memory and remembering everywhere I read this year.

It's as if memory is our way of keeping the lived life of the past and ourselves alive.

I remember, therefore I am.