Michael (Tattoogirl Reads)'s Reviews > The Future of Us

The Future of Us by Jay Asher

May 28, 12

bookshelves: stand-alone
Read from May 25 to 28, 2012

I have to preface this with: In 1995 I got my first computer and my first AOL CD. That said, I was so stoked when I heard about this book, especially since Jay Asher was one of the authors. Unfortunately, it didn’t really live up to my high expectations.

Things I liked: All the 90s references. Even though I was a fairly wee tike at during that time I still remember a lot of the references. To me this book, even though it was about young adults and had appropriate themes, was most definitely not a YA novel because how could these references speak to a YA audience? I mean, I’m sure some teens know who Hootie & The Blowfish are but it can’t possibly be all that many, can it? This was a positive thing for me

I also liked how original it felt using Facebook. I’m sure similar things have been done but I haven’t read any books like that.

Things I didn’t like: It was just kind of a meh story. Even though it wasn’t that long, it felt like it just putzed on forever. And I really only felt invested in one character, Josh. Those two things are really big things. So you can see why I’m only giving it two stars.

While it was original, it just didn’t float my boat or sink my sub.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Future of Us.

05/25/2012 page 50
14.0% ""I swear, guys in groups are capable of the stupidest things." "Like war.""