James's Reviews > The Nazi Officer's Wife: How One Jewish Woman Survived the Holocaust

The Nazi Officer's Wife by Edith Hahn Beer

M_50x66
Oct 28, 11

bookshelves: shoah-ww2-memoirs
Read in September, 2006

I read this book the first time about 5 years ago, and I have read several times since then. It fascinates me that the author was able to survive the Holocaust by adopting the gentile identity of a good friend of hers from Vienna, Austria (which was "annexed" to Nazi Germany in March, 1938); and to endure several close checks of her papers, even when at least one time, the investigation could have lead to her discovery since her friend had the only national registration card on file in Vienna, but she passed that "test" too and a "duplicate" card was made to "replace" the "lost" one--this one made out to the nickname she had adapted from her friend's papers. She even caught the eye of a Nazi party member and married him, had a baby with him, after admitting to him that she was Jewish, on false papers, and on the run from the Viennese Gestapo. It was hard to put it down, as cliche as it sounds.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Nazi Officer's Wife.