Bonnie's Reviews > The Beekeeper's Apprentice

The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King

Feb 26, 15

bookshelves: full-of-wonderful, adult, mystery, sherlock-my-love, best-heroines
Recommended to Bonnie by: Maja
Recommended for: Sherlock-Lovers
Read from October 28 to November 07, 2011

Interested in more of my reviews? Visit my blog!

If you’re in any way a fan of Sherlock Holmes, this book/series is a must read for you. I’m new to the world of Sherlock Holmes but I immediately loved him following his first book A Study in Scarlet and I desperately wanted to read more stories about him.

Sherlock Holmes is now a retired beekeeper residing in Sussex Downs. Despite the fact that he is retired, his mind is still just as sharp and he still assists the police in solving local cases. Sherlock Holmes meets Mary Russell (the narrator), a 15 year old young woman, one day and recognizes her as a like-minded individual almost instantly.
’The formality of his speech was faintly ludicrous considering that we were two shabby figures facing each other on an otherwise deserted hillside.’

Mary quickly becomes a sidekick to Holmes and he teaches her all the tricks of his trade. Despite her young age, despite the fact that she is female, she quickly becomes an equal to Sherlock which is quite a change when compared to the relationship between Sherlock and Watson.

”A conversation with you is most invigorating, Russell. That might have taken twenty frustrating minutes with Watson.”

I absolutely loved how true to form Sherlock was in this book and if I didn’t love him/this book enough as is, the addition of Mary made it absolute perfection. Their dry humor and verbal sparring was delightful. They began as friends and Mary was constantly striving for Sherlock’s approval.
’Ah, how sweet was the pleasure of seeing the look of appreciation spread over his face and hearing his murmured phrase, “Very good, very good indeed.” It was like coming home.’

The book actually spans quite a number of years as Mary is almost nineteen by the end. The progression of their relationship was lovely and despite the fact that it could be construed as inevitable it was still a delight to witness.
Reminders of my femininity always took him by surprise. However, I could not hold him to blame, for they took me by surprise as well.

This has absolutely become one of my favorites and I will definitely be continuing this series. Thank you Maja for the recommendation. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beekeeper's Apprentice.

10/29/2011
9.0% "Oh my gosh. This book has me enthralled." 8 comments
10/29/2011
27.0% "Book Two" 4 comments
11/01/2011
44.0% "Sherlock, you know I love you, it's just that... well, Drink Deep just came in so I need to put you on hold for now. I'm sure you can understand. :D" 2 comments
11/06/2011
51.0% ""Next time we do this, I will play the deaf old woman and you can laugh at rude jests for an hour." Haha"
11/07/2011
76.0% "And then a miracle happened. :)"
11/07/2011
89.0% "'Holmes your eyebrow has fallen off again.' Lol"
11/07/2011
91.0% "'I shall just have to remember that if I ever want to catch your attention, all I need to do is threaten to blow you up.'"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Woo-hoo! *jumps up and down*

Bonnie :D I didn't get very far at all last night... like 4%. But I'm about to dive back in.

Wendy Darling Ahhh, I want to read this, too! Bonnie, if you end up enjoying, you might check out The Case of the Baker Street Irregular as well. It was one of my childhood favorites, about a boy who meets up and helps Holmes solve crimes. I'm about to send a copy to Flannery, who is also a SH nut!

Bonnie Maja convinced me to read the first Sherlock Holmes just yesterday, A Study in Scarlet (my first SH experience) and I must say I ended up absolutely loving him.

I'll definitely check it out, thanks Wendy! :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I just love Marry Russel in these and I love that she's Holmes' equal, something poor Watson never was. I'm on book 5 atm, loving every word. :)

Wendy Darling I can't wait to read this! It sounds like so much fun.

Bonnie I loved it! It was just short of amazing to me. :D

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) The second book is just as good. A Letter of Mary was the best, in my opinion, and The Moor sucked just a teeny tiny bit. :D

Bonnie Well that's good to hear. I'm looking forward to the rest of them soon. :)

Stephen Great review, Bonnie. I thought this was terrific. I have the second book on my on deck circle. I hope it is just as good.

Bonnie Thanks, Stephen.
I've heard it is just as good if not better, I'm really looking forward to it as well. :)