Lobeck's Reviews > My Sister's Keeper

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

Jun 30, 07

bookshelves: least-favorite-of-all-time
Recommended for: people who like trash pop fiction
Read in May, 2007

this book is a shameless and unskillful manipulation of human emotions. i felt dirty when i was done with it. the story is on par with cheap natural disaster movies like deep impact that are formulated to tug at your heartstrings in very predictable ways. the author painfully over uses the dramatic blackout technique where she writes a line that's trying too hard to be clever or profound and then fades to black - aka, leaves extra space before the next paragraph or ends a chapter - sometimes with no time break between one sentence and the next. such a cheap trick - does this impress anyone any more?

the author writes the entire novel as a cliff hanger - another piece of shameless manipulation that i despise - with the whole novel spanning no more than a few days. she builds up plot points that don't deliver; when she finally reveals characters' motivations, they end up being pretty lame justifications for their actions.

the sideline love story was completely predictable - old sweathearts with a bad breakup who are suddenly thrown into a situation together. woman resists, man persists, woman gives in to romantic evenings and sex, illustrating once again that women don't really know what they want and no doesn't really mean no and if you push hard enough you can have your way with any woman.

needless to say, i don't recommend this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Sister's Keeper.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (last edited Aug 19, 2009 02:34PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Jennifer You worded my exact feelings towards this book. I was worried before I came to this site that I was the only one. Thank you.

message 2: by Cla (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cla Natel I actually loved this book. It might not have a happy ending and you dont end it with a smile plastered in your face but you cant NOT finish it. The book tells a story which loads might have heard of or even lived it. Leukemia isnt something with a happy ending, normally it ends with death. The author managed to balance the predicable death of the character with an unexplainable love, therefore giving hope to the ones who have none.
On the end of the book you realize that it isnt the end of the lives of the characters but just the end of the book. You will be able to predict the end of their lives but you will also be able to smile at that ending.

Sophie R How could you say that?! I thought that this book was actually fantastic and I couldn't stop reading it. Its one of my favorite books and I think Jodi Picoult is awesome

message 4: by Kotryna (new)

Kotryna This is one of my favorite books that I've read. I thought that the author presented it perfectly. Leukemia doesn't always end in a happy ending, only some end in happy endings. But this was a book with a sad ending which Jodi Picoult presented very well. This book was so amazing i couldn't stop reading it. That's pretty much all I have to say about this book. So don't trash one of the best books written by Jodi Picoult.

message 5: by Ann (new) - rated it 1 star

Ann Well-written review. Each time I think of this book, I'd like my money back. I've considered leaving it in a public place to pass it on but that would be a mean trick.

message 6: by Eva (new) - rated it 1 star

Eva i agree with u^^

Veronica I can understand someone disliking a book I thoroughly enjoyed. It's unfortunate, but I can respect that. I think it's trite (and ironic actually) to say that a story has been told before and is predictable. I guess it's usually made by people that value the destination more than the journey. For me, every book and ever story, whether it's been told before or not, is a new journey. I believe that there are time when the wheel can be re-invented and even improved upon! I still enthusiastically and whole-heartedly recommend this book and this author.

Jennifer Veronica wrote: "I can understand someone disliking a book I thoroughly enjoyed. It's unfortunate, but I can respect that. I think it's trite (and ironic actually) to say that a story has been told before and is pr..."

or perhaps the journey itself lacks value

message 9: by Carly222 (new)

Carly222 i've HATED books before, been pissed off about books before, but never REGRETTED reading a book before this one.

butter be scotch I agree with you: "she builds up plot points that don't deliver; when she finally reveals characters' motivations, they end up being pretty lame justifications for their actions."

Lauren I completely agree with every point made in this review.

message 12: by Kate (new) - rated it 1 star

Kate Couldn't agree more. This book is some seriously cheap lazy writing. It's made for people who love to watch Hallmark movies.

Sharnae Jodi Picoult is an amazing writer. Stop hating on her!

Rakajean Jodi Picoult should write for Mills & Boon. She doesn't deserve the shred of cred she seems to have.

message 15: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat I agree with cliff hanger! But i'd still want the book though. :)

Cynthia Moeller I could not have said it better myself. Excellent review, especially the emotional manipulation. It is hard to describe how horrible I thought this book was yet so many people loved it. I was worried I was the only one who found it manipulative and trite. Glad to know I am not. Thought I might be going crazy!

message 17: by Inspiree (new) - added it

Inspiree Good review, but honestly, she's a really good writer. I seriously enjoyed this book. I can understand the ending was weird, or you could even say, cheap, but if you've read other of Picoult's books, it usually goes along the same lines. Its her style and you cant blame her for it. Stop hating on her.

Nayani Vive Well put (although harsh). I've read a few books by the author and quite liked them, as they were easy reads and enjoyable enough but this book tries too hard to upset you... Going to unnecessary lengths. Think your review is really spot on.

Samantha West I think it's funny how many people criticize the negative reviews of this book claiming that the reviewer just "doesn't like sad endings" or books that tackle unhappy subject matter. I happen to really enjoy books that are dark, or sad or leave you feeling haunted and contemplative. I like books that make you think. This book is obviously for people who don't WANT to think. And in that way, this book is good; it's a fine way to zone out and waste several hours of your time. This book is so far removed from any semblance of reality that I felt like, as another commenter put it, I was watching a Hallmark movie. These characters seem so far removed from any semblance of REAL human beings that by time the crappy cop-out of an ending rolled around, I could care less about what had happened to any of them. Every line of dialogue was so cliche, it practically made me roll my eyes. I should've put it down as soon as I caught the first red flag with the firefighter dad and the pyro son. My Sister's Keeper was mildly entertaining at best, but obviously Picoult is not for me.

message 20: by Paula (new) - rated it 1 star

Paula You nailed it. I hated it, just finished it and it is going away with my donation pile.