Katie's Reviews > A Trick of the Light

A Trick of the Light by Louise Penny

Oct 28, 2011

bookshelves: favorites

Well, this was my first Louise Penny book, and it was pretty good. Maybe the reason why I liked it was because her main character, Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, reminds me so much of another one of my favorite main characters, Hercule Poirot. With the various French words thrown in and the faithful sidekick (although Jean Guy Beauvoir is a far cry from Capt Hastings) and the end scene where everyone is gathered for the reveal, I felt like I was reading a new Agatha Christie book! There was just something about her writing style I didn't like. She kept repeating certain themes over and over (like Humpty Dumpty, of all things), to the point where it was annoying. When I originally put this book on hold at the library, I didn't know that it was a series. I usually like to read a series in order, so I was glad that she didn't really reveal a LOT about the plots of her previous books (except for one plot point, but I still don't feel like the story is ruined for me). Overall, it was pretty good, and I've put the rest of the series on hold for me at the library!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Trick of the Light.