Alyssa Ricks's Reviews > Darkness Unbound

Darkness Unbound by Keri Arthur

Nov 02, 11

Read from October 28 to 30, 2011

I enjoyed this first installment of the series, a spin off from the Riley Jensen series, but it didn't quite meet my expectations. I was a big fan of the Riley series so my expectations were high, and while this was a good read and the continued world development was interesting I wasn't as invested in the characters as I'd like to be. Risa is a somewhat psycic half werewolf half Aedh that gets dragged into a mess that could destroy the world because of her unique powers. Riley and Quinn do appear, but in a very peripheral role, sort of like a shoutout or something.

(view spoiler) I kind of don't like this as a plot device, especially since it was obvious to me it was going to happen, but this story was really laying the ground work for the rest of the series - I do plan to continue.

*Edited-Risa is the main character and Dia is her mother.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkness Unbound.

message 1: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra Ooh let me know how you like this one.

Alyssa Ricks I'm sort of on the fence about continuing the series. I really liked the Riley Jensen series and this is a spinoff of sorts, but I didn't really empathize with Dia all that much. I am interested in seeing her discover the strength of her powers and everything, I just think I was slightly disappointed because I liked the previous series so much. Don't get me wrong, it's still 3-3.5 stars. Have you read it?

message 3: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra No, and I haven't read the Riley Jensen series either, although I feel like I may have read a short from it in an anthology. I'll prob start with that series if I decide the read this author, since you liked it better.

Alyssa Ricks I'm definitely going to go for book 2 - book 1 is often laying the ground work and you're not as invested in the characters yet - but I did enjoy the Riley books more and would recommend them.