Cheryl's Reviews > Uncle Vanya

F_50x66
Oct 28, 11

bookshelves: russian-fed
Read in October, 2011

It was an interesting experiment for me, reading a play, as I usually read novels but I also wanted to view the play to compare both vehicles and managed to see the BBC's 1970 production with Anthony Hopkins. I found reading it more fulfiling as I experienced a greater sense of spatial awareness of the layout and props within a room and outside whereby when watching the play these merely became the background to my viewing experience.

The dialogue, I sometimes found manic: slow and going off at a tangent at times and fast and charging at others - a real roller-coaster. I was alittled unsettled at this approach until I read that instead of conventional actions Chekhov offers a "theatre of mood" or a "submerged life" in the text so the play was carried by the emotion of the characters rather than following a structured plotline which, as an example, Oscar Wilde employed in "An Ideal Husband".

This explained the roller-coaster and I'd like to re-visit Chekhov's other plays when I have a moment but in this particular play I found the conservation theme championed by Dr Astrov holds well today and that most of the characters carried a sense of loss and abandonment either in the passing of time, failing in love, unfulfilled dreams and passions so there something for audiences to think about.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Uncle Vanya.