Ali's Reviews > My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey

My Stroke of Insight by Jill Bolte Taylor

Jul 11, 08

bookshelves: non-fiction, spirituality, memoir
Recommended to Ali by: Acupuncturist
Recommended for: Anyone dealing with stroke or coma patients
Read in June, 2008

My acupuncturist suggested that I view Jill Bolte Taylor's presentation on Ted.com.

"Jill Bolte Taylor was a 37-year-old Harvard-trained and published brain scientist when a blood vessel exploded in her brain. Through the eyes of a curious scientist, she watched her mind completely deteriorate whereby she could not walk, talk, read, write, or recall any of her life. Because of her understanding of how the brain works, her respect for the cells composing her human form, and an amazing mother, Jill completely recovered her mind, brain and body.

"Having lost the categorizing, organizing, describing, judging and critically analyzing skills of her left brain, along with its language centers and thus ego center, Jill’s consciousness shifted away from normal reality. In the absence of her left brain’s neural circuitry, her consciousness shifted into present moment thinking whereby she experienced herself “at one with the universe."

"Amazed to find herself alive, Taylor spent eight years recovering her ability to think, walk and talk. She has become a spokesperson for stroke recovery and for the possibility of coming back from brain injury stronger than before. In her case, although the stroke damaged the left side of her brain, her recovery unleashed a torrent of creative energy from her right."

The first half of the book tells the fascinating story of that fateful morning. The second half details the lack of understanding afforded stroke patients by those in whom her care is entrusted. At the minimum, the reader will come away with a far greater understanding of the humanity within -- what may seem as -- the uncommunicative shell of a stroke victim. The reader will also gain great insight into the DOs and DON'Ts for a stroke patient, thereby creating a calm and safe environment for healing.

This is a fascinating story. I subtracted 1/2 1 star because it was a little "too easy" of a read. I was able to plow through it in only one very busy day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Stroke of Insight.