Megan Baker's Reviews > Shortcut

Shortcut by Donald Crews

Oct 28, 11

bookshelves: children-s-literature
Read in October, 2011

Shortcut is a work of contemporary realistic fiction that is intended for primary readers. It is about a group of children that decide to take a shortcut home one day. The shortcut is along train tracks and as the children walk along the tracks they hear a train coming. The children must run to get out of the trains way before they are hit. The children safely make it home and decide to never speak of the incident again.
I rated this book with two stars because there was not much of a plot. The book was short and I found it to be boring. The illustrations were dull and did not catch my attention. Also there was no main character and no character's names were mentioned in the book. I believe that children would find this book appealing because they will be full of suspense as the train heads straight for the children. Children also enjoy trains, which is why they may also enjoy the book. This book is a good book to read to children if they are learning about diversity because the group of children in this book are African American.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shortcut.