P.A. Lupton's Reviews > Fifty Shades of Grey

Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James

Dec 02, 2012

bookshelves: favourites, best-books-i-read-in-2011
Recommended for: all fans of erotic contemporary romance
Read from October 25 to 28, 2011

Those of you who have had the privilege of reading Fifty Shades of Grey will appreciate the context in which this review was written. For those of you who have not read the book, well, you’ll have to buy a copy to understand the inside joke.

CONTRACT
Dated this day 28th day of October, 2011

BETWEEN
P.A. LUPTON (reader, and fan, Fifty Shades of Grey by E L James)
And
ALL FANS OF EROTIC, CONTEMPORARY ROMANCE

EXPECTATIONS
Readers can expect to find within the pages of this book a flawless rendering of the internal, psychological struggles of a novice submissive in a BDSM relationship. Anastasia Steele is an innocent to sexual relationships, let alone BDSM relationships. E L James captures perfectly her fears, confusions, insecurities, and internal conflicts as she deals with falling in first love with a man who epitomizes the meaning of dominant.

CHARACTERS
The reader shall discover within this novel two of the most well thought out and in depth characters. The hero Christian Grey admits that he is “Fifty shades of Fu*#&ed up,” which makes the reader want to delve in and learn about each of those fifty shades. The heroine Anastasia Steele is a study in contradictions: smart but naïve, innocent yet sensual, independent yet submissive, and these paradoxes keep the reader captivated and eager to learn more.

THE PARTIES AGREE AS FOLLOWS
Upon signing this contract, you (the fan) agree to proceed to your nearest bookstore, or e-book retailer, and immediately purchase a copy of Fifty Shades of Grey. I (PA Lupton) warrant that upon reading said copy a multitude of emotions will inevitably ensue. I further warrant that disappointment will not be one of the aforementioned emotions. Your signature on this contract further indicates your accord in following the rules set out in APPENDIX 1 to this agreement.

SIGNATURE______________________

APPENDIX 1
RULES

1. Please ensure that you have Kleenex prepared when you read this novel as build up of emotions will unavoidably lead to the inadvertent shedding of tears.
2. Make certain to schedule ample time for reading as once you begin you will be unable to put your book down. Be warned: If obligations force you to cease reading prior to completion, for long periods of time, it will inevitably lead to impatience and frustration.
3. IMPORTANT: Cold liquids, ice, cool cloths, or any cooling equipment such as central air or electric fans should be close at hand. Reading the romantic (i.e. sex) scenes in this book without these cooling devices will certainly lead to overheating.
4. Enjoy!

02/15/2016 marked as: read

message 151: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess Loving these reccs Sir's Kitten. I have so many books to read, I hope to get to more erotica soon. I haven't read much on incest since I read Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma. THAT is an incredible story, another extremely emotional read, it took me about a week to get over it. But I recommend it to everyone! Yes, you will be an emotional wreck afterwards, but it's one of those books that stays with you. I loved it, it was my number one on my top 10 reads of 2011 last year. Highly recommended. Doesn't really freak you out about the incest either, it's written beautifully that you forget about it. No HEA in that one sadly, that's the emotional part.

message 152: by P.A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

P.A. Lupton Jessica-*Sleeping with Travis Maddox* wrote: "Loving these reccs Sir's Kitten. I have so many books to read, I hope to get to more erotica soon. I haven't read much on incest since I read Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma. THAT is an incredible st..."

You had me until you said no HEA. I can't handle that.

message 153: by Jess (last edited Apr 10, 2012 08:58AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess Ooops sorry. I really do recommend it though. It's unfortunate there isn't a HEA with it. You spend the whole book knowing there can't be because they're brother and sister. It's major suckage, but worth the read. I had to lend it out after I read it because I couldn't bare to look at it. Every time I did, I burst into tears.

message 154: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan I'm only half way through and loving it! My husband is NOT reading it and loving it just as much. I amend the appendix to having something cool near by only when you don't have a warm body lying next to you to "take it out on" when you're done reading. Holy hell this book is hot.

message 155: by P.A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

P.A. Lupton Megan wrote: "I'm only half way through and loving it! My husband is NOT reading it and loving it just as much. I amend the appendix to having something cool near by only when you don't have a warm body lying n..."

I should ammend that. LOL I'm glad you love it as much as I do, and I'm happy for your hubby.

message 156: by Future Slayer Girl (last edited Apr 10, 2012 09:35AM) (new) - added it

Future Slayer Girl Pseudo incest, isn't actual incest. The authors developed that 'genre' to give the books a more 'taboo' spin. But all it is, is sex between step siblings. It was the reason Pay Pal went all censored on a bunch of erotica authors. All those 'daddy' books you see around are actually step relationships lol.

I read parts of Forbidden, I borrowed it because I was worried it would hit triggers, and it did. I have no problems with incest type books, I have read a few and this season on Spartacus and on Game of Thrones they have incest plots. But for some reason the book unnerved me. It was another one of those books that you either love or hate. You can latch on and love it and you can totally feel detached to the characters.

I recommend it to people that, as something with a bit more meat in that genre.

It ends pretty tragic P.A. I would sway away from it, if you have trouble with Unhappily Ever After (as I call it lol)

And as a side note, for anyone that wants to try some kinky play in the bedroom after reading 50 Shades PLEASE! Be careful. I can't stress that enough. My husband and I did NOT impact play before we hired a Master Trainer to monitor us. For one if you don't know what Impact Play is, then you shouldn't be doing any heavy spanking or bondage till you know what Impact Play is and how to safely navigate that kink.

Recently, there was a blog event over at Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews. It steamed from the 50 Shades debate and people 'trying' what they read without any actual formal training. I think one of the best posts was from Kallypso. They were all pretty good, but she has the most detailed response and stressed (which I totally support) that you can't learn actual play from a few online articles and you tube videos. This is her post for those curious about a little slap and tickle. Because even that can get you injured if you don't know WHERE to hit during Impact Play.

message 157: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess Oh ok I didn't know that's what pseudo incest was. Learn something new every day!

True forbidden isn't for everyone. It's another one of those love it or hate it books.

Thanks for the tips Sir's Kitten. I have no sex life right now because of boyfriend lacking of three years but I definitely wouldn't have attempted anything like that at home without being trained lol. But it's good to know in case my future changes.

message 158: by Sylvie (last edited Apr 10, 2012 11:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sylvie I've been reading Kallypso Masters Rescue Me series, about a group of Marine vets who served together in Iraq. Now that they're stateside, they've opened up a BDSM club! Excellent story lines, and VERY emotional reading.

Future Slayer Girl Sylvie wrote: "I've been reading Kallypso Masters Rescue Me series, about a group of Marine vets who served together in Iraq. Now that they're stateside, they've opened up a BDSM club! Excellent story lines, and ..."

I agree! And the woman does her research and they aren't 'fantasy Doms' They have real issues which is refreshing. <3

message 160: by Mara (new) - rated it 1 star

Mara are you kidding me?

message 161: by Katya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katya Anino wrote: ome people just don't understand that lifestyle, so therefore they attempt to villify or ridicule what they don't understand. Personally, I don't believe that "Vanilla Sex" is the norm anymore. There are varying degrees of "Kinky F*ckery.." played out in a lot of relationships.

There's a quote from Hamlet, and it goes like this: "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

Translation: Those who are yelling the loudest, may want "it" the most.

I hope that the ones who are complaining so loudly will take a moment to chew on that, before they reload to shoot their mouths off, again and again and again.
"

Amino, I think you hit the nail on the head there.....with your Shakespearean quote! Bravo to you!

message 162: by Katya (last edited Apr 10, 2012 08:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katya Michelle(Chelle) aka Nightshade wrote: "The Reluctant Dom is a favorite of mine too. I also just finished reading The Dom's Dungeon which was excellent as well."

I did not read any of those books so I really have no point of reference but I remember really railing on Deadly Captive (Deadly Captive, #1) by Bianca Sommerland i hated it...non conceptual sex, murder for fun, physical pain which is enjoyed by an audience? NO I had a problem with this. But what shocked me is that so many people loved this book. I heard so many people rave about it that I was taken aback. Was it me? I am a big gun-shy when it comes to physical pain associated with sex...maybe it was my own background...having been an abusive relationship before that made dislike this story so much. It is confusing to really put a label on something like this and that is why so many people just don't understand. Am I making any sense? lol

Michelle(Chelle) aka Nightshade - Cake Whisperer Katya wrote: "Michelle(Chelle) aka Nightshade wrote: "The Reluctant Dom is a favorite of mine too. I also just finished reading The Dom's Dungeon which was excellent as well."

I did not read any of those books ..."

I haven't read this one Katya....with your description I doubt I will be rushing out to add it to my Nook. LOL.

Future Slayer Girl Katya wrote: "Michelle(Chelle) aka Nightshade wrote: "The Reluctant Dom is a favorite of mine too. I also just finished reading The Dom's Dungeon which was excellent as well."

I did not read any of those books ..."

I know Bianca very well. And she is the first to say that the DC books are NOT for everyone. I haven't read that particular book of hers, I read, and really enjoyed Game Misconduct. It is a BDSM menage. About a hockey team full of Doms (Bianca is Canadian so the hockey part is soooooooo awesome! And her Doms are delicious) I know I will love Deadly Captive personally. For one, I love when people make vampires evil. I don't like good vampires, I know, call me a crazy Dracula loyalist, or even Anne Rice. Lol. I have very few 'triggers' I used to have a few, not so much anymore. But Deadly Captive is the extreme, but for me Bianca is a very good writer, one person reviewed it high and hated the book, but praised her voice as an author.

Don't judge all her books on Deadly Captive lol. If you try Bianca again I would go with Game Misconduct. It is a regular bdsm romance. :-D

message 165: by Donna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Donna Antaramian Lved the review ... very clever

message 166: by Laura (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura Read a sample on Kindle and loved it. Brought it yesterday and started reading it on the Eve. Cannot put it down! I've had to though or I'll get no sleep! Lol. Can't wait to read more and read the rest of them.

message 167: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Joyner Thanks right on point I am going to copy this for my friend she will love this Darker was my favorite of the 3

message 168: by Kenya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kenya Wright love this! You rock!

message 169: by P.A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

P.A. Lupton Kenya wrote: "love this! You rock!"

LMBO...thanks.

message 170: by Kouk (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kouk Great review P.A.,
I loved this book! I was really enthralled by Christian. And i thought this book had everything: It was sexy, funny and even sad at times.

message 171: by Jenny (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenny Mendez Love your book review ;)

Such a fantastic series!!

message 172: by Iveth (new) - rated it 2 stars

Iveth This book was poorly written. The story line had me intrigued but the writing and repetition of words made me regret putting this on my Kindle. I really thought the story line would improve by the third book, but sadly no. Ana and Grey really become annoying as the story progresses and for all the nasty stuff they do together, I surprised she still blushes around him. Too much with the lip biting, looking through her lashes at him and inner goddesses. Lame, lame and more lame.

t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ t'irla's Talk Book Blog Wow, Brian..regardless of liking the book. Knowledge of BDSM or not. I believe Miss Lupton was expressing her 'opinion' which she is entitled to express in a book review. I think your comments, specifically the last paragraph is presumptuous and very personal. It also shows your maturity.
I believe in your right to express your opinion on the review but name calling and personal attacks are beneath a member of Goodreads.

Anamaria Well i just bought the book, i know its been out for quite some time but just decided i need to start reading again, but any ways....I LOVED IT, i was never a fan of stuff like that, but oh boy am i now. It could be maby im older, but what ever it is I WANT MORE!

message 175: by P.A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

P.A. Lupton Anamaria wrote: "Well i just bought the book, i know its been out for quite some time but just decided i need to start reading again, but any ways....I LOVED IT, i was never a fan of stuff like that, but oh boy am ..."

If you liked the first book wait til you read Fifty Shades Darker. I loved it, and personally, I thought it just got better. That's the one where you really see Christian grow.

Lenina♡ lol i did cry at some parts

message 177: by Sabah (new)

Sabah Abdelhadi F%$#@& the paper work!! I am reading, yes.....again!!!!!all 3 of them

Somerandom Hmm, even though I didn't like it personally, you gave a good review.
I never saw the sex scenes as anything special, though that could just speak of my thorough desensitization.

message 179: by Steffi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Steffi Omg perfect review! Lol

message 180: by Reena (new)

Reena Bahrin Didn't want to read it at first but Christian Grey definitely piqued my interest. Bought the books, read 'em, lo and behold! I'm in love with Christian lol!

message 181: by Chrischwl (new)

Chrischwl IM in Love with the book ... Well imagined

message 182: by A. T. (new) - rated it 1 star

A. T. Adlen none of this excuses the poor writing.

t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ t'irla's Talk Book Blog I have read a lot of book A.m. and yes the writing wasn't perfect but it kept me engaged and involved without breaking into my headspace while reading. That to me is ok writing. I have seen much much worse from more experienced writers. just my .02cdn

message 184: by P.A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

P.A. Lupton I'm with you T'irla. When an author creates a story that sucks me into the characters and story the way EL did, I don't even notice the writing. I've read stories that are technically perfect but do nothing for me.

message 185: by A. T. (last edited Apr 05, 2013 06:41AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

A. T. Adlen funny, I fell asleep after the first 5 pages. I was more entertained by all of the parodies I've seen/read since.

t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ t'irla's Talk Book Blog A.m. I'm not sure you are qualified to rate the book if you only read the first 5 pages how could you know what the book was about or judge the writing based on 5 pages. When I hear things like this it makes me crazy. I respect people's opinions but I don't respect opinions that are not based on the actual book content and in 5 pages you can not judge that. So for me ...all your credibility just flew out the door.

message 187: by A. T. (new) - rated it 1 star

A. T. Adlen I don't remember saying I didn't read the entire thing, just that I was bored at the offset. And even so, I think that does make me qualified. I said it was poorly written. Poorly written books are boring.

I don't think the fact that you "have read a lot of book" makes you qualified to judge what decent writing is. Just saying.

t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ t'irla's Talk Book Blog A.m. wrote: "I don't remember saying I didn't read the entire thing, just that I was bored at the offset. And even so, I think that does make me qualified. I said it was poorly written. Poorly written books are..."

I hear ya....but again..just cause you were bored in the first 5 pages doesn't mean you are qualified to just decent writing. Jus sayin

message 189: by C (new) - rated it 1 star

C In no world is this a flawless rendering of ANYTHING found in a true BDSM relationship.

t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ t'irla's Talk Book Blog *smiles* I know but this is fiction and we allow literary license in fictional novels. It was a good story that brought out true emotions. Not a textbook on BDSM or damaged relationships. Few novels out there actually depict a "true" BDSM relationship. Not that I think there is such a thing as a "true" BDSM relationship because the Dom and the Sub set their own rules.

message 191: by P.A. (last edited Apr 08, 2013 06:50PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

P.A. Lupton I don't know, I thought Ana's character was a good depiction of the inner turmoil a person who has never been in a BDSM relationship would experience. She questioned everything. I found that way more realistic for someone who isn't in the "lifestyle" than a lot of books portray. So many novels show these women with natural submissive tendencies who don't question anything. I loved that she did. She constantly asked why Christian wanted control and then when she did give up control (and she did that for him at first) she questioned why she liked it.

My statement wasn't meant that this is a real portrayal of a BDSM relationship, but more about the struggles a newbie would have when introduced to it. IMO

message 192: by Ashley (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ashley Rose Its nice to know someone else likes the book haha. *signs contract* Im up for it!

message 193: by P.A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

P.A. Lupton LMBO I know. With all the haters out there you begin to wonder how it became so popular. There are a lot of fans out there, more so than I think people admit;)

t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ t'irla's Talk Book Blog I has become like Harlequin romances used to be...nobody admits it but everyone reads them :)

message 195: by P.A. (last edited Apr 25, 2013 06:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

P.A. Lupton A quick message,

I don’t judge, berate, criticize, disparage, insult, or attack anyone else for their OPINION if they have a different viewpoint than my own. I respect that there are many people out there who will read the same book I loved and hate it. I will not seek out those reviews and attack that reviewer for expressing their feelings. Opinions cannot be wrong, it is impossible. The definition of opinion in case anyone is interested: A view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

If someone has a differing opinion about this book and would like to discuss the book, I welcome such discussions. If you are commenting to insult me or tell me my opinion is wrong, I will delete that comment. I have no interest in slinging insults or engaging in pointless discussions.

Sorry if this message is a little rude, but I delete messages from this review almost every day. It’s a little tiring.

message 196: by Jenny (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenny I don't think you were rude at all PA. I think people need to understand that we are all individuals and we won't like the same things, but for someone to put someone down because they didn't like the books is just stupid. I only read these books because you kept talking about them. I'm glad I did. I enjoyed them alot. These are fiction books as has been pointed out more than once. Writers tend to take liberty with things if it makes the story work better. I know I do. I don't know what it is about these novels that seem to have people so polarized. If you don't like it fine, there is lots of things out there that others read that isn't my cup of tea but I don't put them down because of it. So if they don't like what these are about go onto something different. I would also like to say that EL's writing from the first book to the third there was such a huge difference. I could see it past the mistakes and enjoy the story because like others said before the story line was that good. In my opinion.

message 197: by P.A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

P.A. Lupton Thanks Jenny. I felt bad about posting the message but I'm sick of getting attacked for liking a book.

Charlene Kudos for posting your message P.A.! I'm sick of reading reviews by people who just bash, and to bash someone for their opinion? Kind of reminds me of the message I give my kids about bullies...these are people who need to make someone else feel bad in order to feel better about themselves. Grow up people!(although unfortunately some never do...)

message 199: by P.A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

P.A. Lupton Thanks Charlene:)

Charlene Oh...and btw, totally agree with you on the impact of this book! First real "erotica" I ever read, it opened up a whole other world of reading for me. Not to mention what it did for my personal relationship...if you know what I mean! I think it did this for a lot of women, and, whether you think the writing was good or not, deserves credit for its impact.