Emily 's Reviews > Clockwork Angel

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

Jan 12, 12

bookshelves: owned, 2012, 2012-reading-olympic-challenge, gorgeous-cover, absolute-favourites
Read from January 01 to 12, 2012

Original review: http://emily-confessionsofabookaholic...

Hello everyone, Yay this is the second book I have read this year. You probably think its strange that I'm reviewing the second book before the first but I loved this book so much I had to share the review with you! I have never read any books by Cassandra Clare before but now I think I'll look into some of her others like The Mortal Instruments series which I have heard is great. Clockwork Angel is a book set in the reign of queen Victoria, so the content and the way they speak is slightly old-fashioned. Usually this would annoy me but it fit beautifully into this book.

Clockwork Angel follows Tessa Grey as she travels to England to see her brother Nate after he sends her a plane ticket out of the blue. When she arrives in England she is greeted by the strange Dark Sisters who claim to have been sent by her brother. Little does Tessa know they actually want to take advantage of the huge power she possesses. After escaping the Dark Sisters she is taken in by the Shadowhunters and meets best friends Jem and Will. Will is your stereotypical bad boy with a witty sense of humour and drastic mood swings. Then there's Jem, kind, forgiving Jem. Terrorised by a secret of his own.
Here is the synopsis:

"Magic is dangerous - but love is more dangerous still...
When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray arrives in England during the reign of Queen Victoria, something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Friendless and hunted, Tessa seeks refuge with the Shadowhunters, a band of warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons. Drawn ever deeper into their world, she finds herself fascinated by – and torn between – two best friends, and quickly realizes that love may be the most dangerous magic of all."

So what do you think? Personally I loved this book, It was one of the best I had read in a while. I found that all of the characters had depth to them and that's unusual in books. Strangly enough I didn't hate Tessa, this is one of the few books (and I mean few) in which the main heroine didn't irritate me every time they spoke. I found Will's character a little annoying at first because of his HUGE moodswings but when I came to understand his character better I began to like him. The one character that I loved all through the book was Jem, his character was so well written and consistant. It takes skill to make such a great character, CC should be proud. I would reccomend this book to YA and PNR lovers. I would give 5/5 stars to CA. See it must be good, I gave it a full number after all. Keep Reading :)

My favorite quote:
“’I like ducks,’ Jem observed diplomatically. ‘Especially the ones in Hyde Park.’ He glanced sideways at Will;…’Remember when you tried to convince me to feed a poultry pie to the mallards in the park to see if you could breed a race of cannibal ducks?’
‘They ate it too,’ Will reminisced. ‘Bloodthirsty little beasts. Never trust a duck.’”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clockwork Angel.

Quotes Emily Liked

Cassandra Clare
“One must always be careful of books," said Tessa, "and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”

Cassandra Clare
“You know," Gabriel said, "there was a time I thought we could be friends, Will."

"There was a time I thought I was a ferret," Will said, "but that turned out to be the opium haze. Did you know it had that effect? Because I didn't.”

Cassandra Clare
“Will looked horrified. "What kind of monster could possibly hate chocolate?”

Cassandra Clare
“That was enterprising," Will sounded nearly impressed.
Nate smiled. Tess shot him a furious look. "Don't look pleased with yourself. When Will says 'enterprising' he means 'morally deficient.'"
"No, I mean enterprising," said Will. "When I mean morally deficient, I say, 'Now, that's something I would have done'.”

Cassandra Clare
“Remember when you tried to convince me to feed a poultry pie to the mallards in the park to see if you could breed a race of cannibal ducks?"

"They ate it too," Will reminisced. "Bloodthirsty little beasts. Never trust a duck.”

Cassandra Clare
“Are you implying that shreds of my reputation remain intact?" Will demanded with mock horror. "Clearly I have been doing something wrong. Or not something wrong, as the case may be."

He banged on the side of the carriage. "Thomas! We must away at once to the nearest brothel. I seek scandal and low companionship.”

Cassandra Clare
“It's all right to love someone who doesn't love you back, as long as they're worth you loving them. As long as they deserve it.”

Cassandra Clare
“Let me give you a piece of advice. The handsome young fellow who's trying to rescue you from a hideous fate is never wrong. Not even if he says the sky is purple and made of hedgehogs.”

Cassandra Clare
“Drowning yourself won't help, she told herself sternly. Now, drowning Will, on the other hand...”

Cassandra Clare
“Well, she's not responding to my advances," he observed more brightly than he felt, "so she must be dead."
"Or she's a woman of good taste and sense.”

Cassandra Clare
“Will rolled up his sleeves. "We'll probably have to knock down the door--"
"Or," said Jem, reaching out and giving the knob a twist, "not."
The door swung open onto a rectangle of darkness.
"Now, that's simply laziness," said Will.”

Cassandra Clare
“Jessamine recoiled from the paper as if it were a snake. "A lady does not read the newspaper. The society pages, perhaps, or the theater news. Not this filth."
"But you are not a lady, Jessamine---," Charlotte began.
"Dear me," said Will. "Such harsh truths so early in the morning cannot be good for the digestion.”

Cassandra Clare
“So you're a Shadowhunter,' Nate said. 'De Quincey told me that you lot were monsters.'
'Was that before or after he tried to eat you?' Will inquired.”

Cassandra Clare
“Blue does not go with everything," Will told her. "It does not go with red, for instance."
"I have a red and blue striped waistcoat," Henry interjected, reaching for the peas.
"And if that isn't proof that those two colors should never be seen together under Heaven, I don't know what is.”

Cassandra Clare
“Do reasons matter when there's nothing that can be done to change things.”

Cassandra Clare
“Will: "Nice place to live, isn't it? Let's hope they left something behind other than filth. Forwarding addresses, a few severed limbs, a prostitute or two ..."
Jem: "Indeed. Perhaps, if we're fortunate, we can still catch syphilis."
"Or demon pox," Will suggested cheerfully, trying the door under the stairs.”

Cassandra Clare
“Whatever you are physically...male or female, strong or weak, ill or healthy--all those things matter less than what your heart contains. If you have the soul of a warrior, you are a warrior. All those other things, they are the glass that contains the lamp, but you are the light inside.”

Cassandra Clare
“Sometimes, when I have to do something I don't want to do, I pretend I'm a character from a book. It's easier to know what they would do.”

Cassandra Clare
“Do you think Charlotte will let me handle the investigation?"
"Do you think you can be trusted in Downworld? The gaming hells, the dens of magical vice, the women of loose morals..."
Will smiled the way Lucifer might have smiled, moments before he fell from heaven. "Would tomorrow be to early to start looking, do you think?
Jem sighed. 'Do what you like, William. You always do.”

Cassandra Clare
“How rude. Many who have gazed upon me have compared the experience to gazing
at the radiance of the sun."
Jem still had his eyes closed. "If they mean it gives you a headache, they aren't wrong.”

Cassandra Clare
“I suspect he's sweet on Sophie and doesn't like to see her work too hard.'
Tessa was glad to hear it. She'd felt awful about her reaction to Sophie's scar, and the thought that Sophie had a male admirer - and a handsome one like that- eased her conscience slightly. 'Perhaps he's in love with Agatha', she said.
'I hope not. I intend to marry Agatha myself. She may be a thousand years old, but she makes an incomparable jam tart. Beauty fades, but cooking is eternal.”

Cassandra Clare
“A sort of good-bye without saying good-bye," he said. "It is a reference to a passage in the Bible. 'And Mizpah, for he said, the Lord watch between me and thee when we are absent one from another.”

Cassandra Clare
“I have lost everything. Lost everything.
Everything. - William Herondale”

Cassandra Clare
“And Jessamine-Jessamine was gazing at her in abject horror, like someone who has seen a vision of their own ghost. For a moment Tessa felt a stab of guilt.
It lasted only a moment, though. Slowly Jessamine lowered her hand from her mouth, her face still very pale. "Goodness, my nose is enormous," she exclaimed. "Why didn't anyone tell me?”

Cassandra Clare
“You know," Gabriel said, "there was once a time I thought we could be friends, Will."
"There was a time I thought I was a ferret," Will said, "but that turned out to be the opium haze.”

Cassandra Clare
“You could know a man not by what his friends said about him, but by how he treated his servants.”

Cassandra Clare
“Goodness," Tessa said to the back of his neck. "If you keep seeing Six-Fingered Nigel like this, he'll expect you to declare your intentions.”

Cassandra Clare
“Sometimes," Jem said, "our lives can change so fast that the change outpaces our minds and hearts. It's those times, I think, when our lives have altered but we still long for the time before everything was altered-- that is when we feel the greatest pain. I can tell you, though, from experience, you grow accustomed to it. You learn to live your new life, and you can't imagine, or even really remember, how things were before.”

Cassandra Clare
“Look at him. The face of a bad angel and eyes like the night sky in Hell. He's very pretty, and vampires like that. I can't say I mind either.”

Cassandra Clare
“How strange to have the power to literally transform yourself into other people, and yet be so unable to put yourself in their place.”

Cassandra Clare
“Black hair and blue eyes are my favorite combination.”

Cassandra Clare
“There's plenty of sense in nonsense sometimes, if you wish to look for it.”

Cassandra Clare
“Will smiled the way Lucifer might have smiled, moments before he fell from Heaven.”

Cassandra Clare
“While the Clave disapproves of trespassers, oddly they take an even darker view of beheading and skinning people. They're peculiar that way.”

01/02/2012 page 40
01/02/2012 page 40
8.0% "Its kinda confusing so far but interesting"
01/03/2012 page 67
14.0% "Really loving it so far, love Will!"
01/03/2012 page 112
24.0% "Ooo I just met Jem"
01/08/2012 page 345
72.0% 1 comment
01/08/2012 page 430
90.0% "I really LOVE Jem!"
show 2 hidden updates…