Stephanie's Reviews > Riptide

Riptide by Douglas Preston

Nov 01, 11

Read in October, 2011

This book had so much potential! The storyline had really compelling personal stories, opportunities for suspense and intrigue, and creativity along the lines of Michael Crieghton or Dan Brown. And the authors completely botched it!! In the first place, the title is entirely irrelevant to the book. They had multitudinous opportunities to make the reader connect with the characters and they completely neglected this vital point. The complex characters became completely cliched. What could have been an incredibly fast-paced and engaging plot suffocated under meaningless description and inane details. A few re-worded pages could have fixed the holes in the plot - gaping holes big enough to drive a train through.

I am more offended by the fact that they had a superb and fascinating concept and ruined it than I am about the shoddy character formation. I still give it two stars for a great idea, but the book itself was a waste of time, mine and theirs. All in all, this book belongs on the Disappointment Shelf.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Riptide.

Uriah Young Disagree. Though the characters were a tad flimsy, the plot was great. Things didn't always go as expected, like when the protagonist could have done the nasty with the French chick, he did not. Suspense? Plenty scenes like the owning one with the brothers traipsing through the cave. The scene when they were drilling the hole. The fact that the water kept filling non the hole was fascinating. And when the preacher found his way to the protagonist really surprised me. I thought this book was great.

Stephanie Well said. I still disagree, but that is the beauty of literature. Each piece can reveal different qualities to different people.