¤Leila | The Fiction Pixie¤'s Reviews > Arthas: Rise of the Lich King

Arthas by Christie Golden

This review is originally posted at The Fiction Pixie.

As a lore supplement, this book is great. As a book telling a story, this book is amazing! This book offered a unique experience for someone who has played the game, and would be a great story for someone who hasn't.

This book takes us on the full journey of the life of Prince Arthas Menethil. Destined to be the Lich King, the evil ruler of the Undead that plague the world, Arthas was not always so heartless and cold. In fact, the depth of this character is remarkable in his complexity. Arthas was (perhaps is) capable of love; profound and ever present love.

Our story starts with a boy who loves his father. Shortly into our story we see a boy who can develop and harness friendships that could span kingdoms. Beyond that the story grows into a young boy in the throws of his first and eternal love. Then our tale darkens to a young man, nearing the throne and expressing a deep love of his people; deep enough this love will cost him everything. But darker yet, our grown prince continues to twist within himself and develops a love of power, a power he now wields over his valued army of the dead.

In such a short span of a book, Christie Golden has absolutely painted a remarkable image of young Arthas Menethil. Power reading this book is the only way to satisfy your need to know more about this young prince. With her intensive research, her easy writing style, and the attention to detail Christie Golden has won my heart and respect.

I would recommend this to fans of fantasy who can shoulder the burdens of betrayals and tragedy as well as feel the elation of love. Without making this seem like a sappy love story (as it clearly is not) I walk away from my favorite parts of this book with the lesson that love can transcend good and evil; through the taint of power, love can survive.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Arthas.