Laura Jennings's Reviews > Pegasus

Pegasus by Robin McKinley

Oct 28, 11

When I found this on the shelf at my library, I remember thinking "Oh my God, the characters can chew wallpaper and I will read this!" And, alas, while they don't do that outright, they come damn close to it.
I gave this an extra star because of its subject matter and how it was handled; the world needs more animal fantasy with this depth of world-building.
But there is a comatose level of conflict here. I'll settle for reading spoiler reviews to find out what happens in the sequel, because after this book took me a whacking 5 days just to finish, I'm not interested. You can entice me with all the pretty pegasi you like, Robin, I ain't comin' back. (My prediction is that the mages are engineering the incompatibility between human and pegasus magic out of misguided fear; prove me wrong.)
I was sorely disappointed by this, because as a horse-crazy fantasyphile, I thought it couldn't lose. For all that Robin treats her subject matter seriously, she couldn't manage much more than the literary equivalent of tea cakes. I demanded a four-course pegasus derring-do, so needless to say this left me entirely unsatisfied.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pegasus.